Neurology Community
Frequent Concussions

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Frequent Concussions

My fifteen year old has suffered 3 concussions in 9 months.  He has had 3 CT scans in that time.  The last concussion was almost two weeks ago.  He still has headaches and some fogginess.  How worried should we be about long-term damage?  When will the headaches go away?
Hi...sorry to hear about the remaining issues.....what was he doing that he was injured?...sports...?I know u said he had CT scans...may I ask y not an MRI?.....and do u have a copy of the report?

Since it was 2 wks ago the last time...it is possible that he has swelling and it is not completely healed?

Hopefully he did not suffer a condition from the repeat injuries.Head injuries r nothing to let slide...please call his dr and ask him the same questions ur asked here.

I pray he recovers soon!
Godspeed
"selma"

Thanks for posting.

It will help us to know if there was any positive finding on the CT scan like a hematoma.

Your child is most likely suffering from a post concussion syndrome (PCS). PCS is a set of symptoms that a patient of head injury continues to experience weeks to months after the injury. The main symptoms include headache, anxiety, depression, memory issues, and dizziness. There are no medications available specifically to deal with post concussion syndrome. Medications are given to take care of the symptoms like pain killers and antidepressants.
The prognosis is excellent as most of the symptoms resolve completely over time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-concussion_syndrome

Hope this helps!