Full Body Jerks While Relaxing before sleep
Every time I go to relax in bed (even if im not going to sleep yet, or even trying) Different parts of my body will jerk. It can be something small like my foot, or at times it will be my neck muscles, my stomach muscles, my thigh muscles. My husband notices them when hes paying attention. But they are quite annoying and are starting to worry me. My husband says ive always done it in my sleep, but Ive noticed in the past 3 or so weeks that they are happening when I am laying down and relaxing. Should I be worried? What are some things it could be? and Do i need to schedule an appointment with my DR soon?
My 5year old daughter diagnosed to have Periventricular Leukomalacia (PVL) + developmental delays, she also had a FITS when she was in NICU. We have been continuing Valporin medicine for fits and since she was normal till 4years we have suddenly stopped giving valporin during 4th year, 5months after stopping valporin she started having jerks after sleep. She has the jerks for 15mins after sleep. For last 6months i have started giving valporin as per doctor's advice but i am still not seeing any improvements. I am very much worried about this, is there really a medicine which can stop the jerks? Please help
-Vasu
The cause of  full body jerks may be sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is a cessation of breathing during sleep. This cessation upsets the balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood. The brain senses this upset and sends a signal to the body to start breathing again.So, the person gets jerks in response to the signal from the brain. The cause of muscle twitching during relaxing may be anxiety. Please consult a physician for the diagnosis and management . Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!

I am not a doctor and in by no means trying to give you medical advice!!  I am only sharing my personal experience in hopes that it may help you.

This same thing happened to me when I was about 28 or 29 years old.  I went through may test and tried many different medications before they found a diagnosis.

They eventually diagnosed me with Myoclonic Epilepsy.  After starting me on Epilepsy medication, my seizures are under control.

The problem you will be faced with is that Myoclonic Epilepsy is a juvinile disease.  You will find very little information about this type of epilepsy in adults.  And most doctors have not even seen a case in adults.

Feel free to contact me if you want me to tell you more about my situation.

Best Wishes!
Lisa

Hello everyone.  I use to have reckless legg syndrome   But haven't had a problem for a couple years   About a month ago I layed down to take a nap. Takes me awhile to fall asleep   I was laying there and my legg jerked really hard then my arm it just kept on then my head did. I had to get up it scared me  and ever since when I lay down n start relaxing I jerk my husband says my stomach jerks too. I go to a neurologist  on 3/27. I'm scared
I wish I could find out my problem. Its getting worse. I was sitting talking to my family on thanksgiving.  Just sitting there comfortable. .I started jerking .my shoulders would jerk up sometimes both sides at the same time. .my head would jerk to the side my legs wouldn't quit jerking or moving.  My whole body jerks when I lay down.  It feels like jolts going thru my body. It on kalonpon now . It's not helping at all .I've took so many meds .neurotin.etc.  xanax did help more than any other med. But after a while it quit too.i feel like its driving me crazy. Sometimes I feel like I want to go to Hyland hospital if I new they could help I know I would . Hyland hospital is for mentally disturbed people.  
My jolting jerks are not just a jerk now. It jerks up to 5-6 times before it stops.  But moves to my head arms legs shoulders everywhere.  And now they all jerk at the same time sometimes my whole body jerks up to a min or more.  Then stops n starts right back up again. I need help
As the original post notes, the jerks happen while relaxing before going to sleep.  I have the same issue and, generally, the jerks do not occur while sleeping.  In that case, sleep apnea would not be the issue.  Do you have other suggestions?  My jerks started about 3 years ago and have gone from a benign few to full body jerks frequently 20-30 times before falling asleep.
By all means see a neurologist and ask to do an MRI. I have those and I was recently diagnoed with MS
This is going to sound crazy but I have the exact problem, legs and now neck. 5 table spoons of apple sauce and every thing settles down. I don't know why. Apples do the same thing, they stop it.