Neurology Community
Full body twitches

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Full body twitches

Well where to start.

I'm 20. I've been having full body twitches for at least the past 5years.
I can feel they are about to happen by like a second and then it comes. It can happen as a one off, but most of the time I will have a group of them.
My friends used to say that I would fit in my sleep, but I think it may have been groups of the twitches.
Trying to figure out what it could possibly be and whether or not its worth mentioning it to the doctors (I don't like being fobbed off)

I do have anxiety and paranoia although this does not seem to affect when/where or why the twitches happen.
I am vit d defficiant. And also take Sertraline currently.
(Although all of this stuff is from after the start of the twitching)

I should also say that my dad is ill with very odd symptoms and has been for the past 16 or so years with no real explanation. (He's on his third round of tests, ie all the tests that exist he's had twice already)
I do worry its possible that his illness is genetic and could be what I have (although i doubt it also)

Wondering if anyone had any ideas.
Thanks.
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. Whole body twitches are often associated with drugs (sertaline can add to existing twitches and tremors), alcohol, smoking, lack of sleep, poor sleep patterns, stress and fatigue. They can be seen in peripheral neuropathies of diabetes, in hyperthyroidism, vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency (you could be having the vitamin D deficiency for long that went undetected), multiple sclerosis, TIAs or transient ischemic attacks or mini strokes, hypoglycemia, disorders of calcium metabolism, hyperparathyroidism etc. Certain epilepsies too could be the cause. Consult an internal medicine specialist or your PCP. Discuss these possibilities with your doctor.  A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind. You will need blood sugar monitoring, MRI of brain and cervical spine, T3, T4, TSH, PTH hormone, sleep studies, serum electrolytes, brain EEG, etc to reach a diagnosis. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.

Thank you for the reply.
It's one of those niggling things I worry about but never get checked.
I have recently been to the doctors regarding my sugar levels as I have a tendency of crash during light exercise. (I was told it was a common issue for young women, not sure how true that is)
I do struggle with sleep, and have done for years but they are better now that they have been in the past, ie I kind of just pass out rather quickly but have very disturbed sleep.
I shall get round to the doctors when I can. But currently have a stomach bug so not to go in.