Neurology Expert Forum
Fusiform Aneurysms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Fusiform Aneurysms

My father was just diagnosed with a fusiform aneurysm at the tip of the basilar artery.  My family has millions of questions, could you just let us now the severity, urgency prognosis and most importantly the best treatments at this time.  It is 4 mm large.  We have also heard alot of a coil procedure, do you know of any specialists in this relatively new procedure?  If you could write back as soon as possible, we are all a little upset.
Thank you,
Kimberly
Dear Kimberly:

I am not sure why you did not get a good explanation of the problem and course of action from the neurologist, neuroradiologlist, or neurosurgeon.  You need to have confidence in this person and good communication so you and your father know all the risks and benefits of attempted correction.  As you well know, intuitively, the larger the aneurysm the higher chances of bleeding.  However, most published studies suggest that size doesn't seem to make that much difference.  The rate of bleeding is about 1%, but the actual percentage is likely not that as only those whose aneurysm are found are noted.  The type of aneurysm your father has would be from athrosclerosis (most likely).  Most of the time, an aneurysm in the basilar system, especially at the tip of the basilar is difficult to treat.  Alot depends on what the aneurysm actually looks like on angio.  If the neuroradiologist thinks that they can coil it, then things have a good chance of a good outcome.  I would only recommend having someone do this if they have a good track record and have been doing these for awhile.  Actually coiling has been done for many years, at the Clinic they have been doing this procedure for over 10 years.  The size of 4 mm is not large as aneurysms go, but the location is not a good one.

I am sorry I can't be more helpful, but not being able to actually see the aneurysm is a handicap on giving information.  Talk to the neuroradiologist and your neurologist.  Get a couple of opinions before progressing.  I hope all works out well.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Hi Kimberly,
I just wanted to know how the surgery went and if one was done. I had my mother-in-law recently have a brain aneurysm clipped on April 17,2000 and I just wanted someone to talk to.......

Thank You,
Michelle
Email:***@****