Neurology Expert Forum
Future Outcome

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Future Outcome

Hi, I am a 26 yr old female whom for the last few years had a steady diet of spirits and various painkillers.I never became an alcoholic, but could say that I definatly abused alcohol. I developed a sudden onset of burning and prickling in face and head. This burning and prickling then spread everywhere else and pain was severe at times. I since stopped drinking and pain has subsided tremendously.Brain MRI was normal,normal bloods,and normal clinical exam of reflexes. My question is, if I don't drink will I continue to heal & how long is the healing process. If I don't drink will I get worse as far as progression? Beleive me I know that I need to stay alcohol free but how dangerous is it to go to a social function and have one drink, as to avoid the multitude of questioning, and ofcourse be less conspicuous? Can I get away with one or two drinks a month? Does alcohol neuritis present itself in the head area first? I often thought it was the feet. Any information on long term outcome would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Alcohol in excessive amounts is toxic to nerves

nerves affected undergoe axonal degeneration - that is they may become permamently damaged. Nerves heal slowly over time, weeks to months, maximum recovery can be judged by one year

Any nerve may be affected not just the feet

I would refer to an alcohol cousellor or AA about taking further smaller amounts of alcohol, as I do not know your risk of relapse.

Good luck
If you are trying to recover from alcoholism you should never even have one drink. Avoid alcohol at all costs. If this means your friends giving you a hard time about not drinking then so be it.

One or two drinks every now and then won't hurt you but since you were an adict in the past you might relapse if you start trying to drink again.

This is just my opinion
Wow, can I relate! Can't drink and can't not drink! I was in your shoes almost 18 yr. ago . . . and if I pick up that FIRST drink now, I will be again. That is my experience with my disease.

It is progressive. It is patient.

I could also share with you the many stories, one of a friend who began to have alcoholic seizures. These happen when the brain is deprived of the alcohol it has learned to function with on a daily basis is withdrawn. My brother has them as well. Anyway, the friend began to drink again, on seizure medicine, too! He is now blind , brain damaged and in a wheelchair from his disease.

It is cunning, baffling and powerful.

A definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. In spite of what's already happened to you, you are still bargaining to try and drink like normal people. But you are no longer one of them. You may die trying. It IS possible to enjoy life without alcohol. Run, don't walk to AA. It saved my life and made it better than I ever believed possible.

I hope to see you there,
lilib ~.~

Hi Guys, and thank you. You are right. I usually have to go cold turkey for extended periods of time to avaid over indulgence. I drank 1 beer in the last 2 months. I had no taste left for it. I need higher doses in order to appreciate it, because it's the feeling that I am after and not the taste. I appreciate your concerns, and I well stay drink free.

matilda
Hi don't know if you'll see this as your post was a while ago but I am having similar problems which I know were caused by booze and prescription drug problems.  I have peripheral neuropathy in feet, legs and hands and had it for four years.  I don't drink much at all now - maybe one glass of wine a month and the PN is still there and seems to be progressing.  I also cant work out why when I am no longer drinking things arent improving.  Have you found out anything more since first posting?
Thanks Honky