Neurology Community
GAG REFLEX

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

GAG REFLEX

NINE MONTHS AGO I WAS IN A MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT WHILE SITTING STILL AND SOMEONE REARENDED MY CAR. I WAS IN PT FOR ALMOST EVERY BODY PART WITH MRI'S X-RAYS, CATSCANS AND ENDOSCOPY.

MY QUESTION IS: I HAVE AN IRRITABLE GAGGING AND CHOKING FEELING WITH MY GAG REFLEX IN MY THROAT/NECK. I WAS ADVISED TO GO TO A GASTROENTEROLOGIST FOR AN ENDOSCOPY PROCEDURE WHICH SHOWED NO DAMAGE OR CONCERNS. THAT DOCTOR REFERRED ME TO AN EAR, NOSE AND THROAT SPECIALIST WHO SAYS SHE CANNOT DETERMINE THE CAUSE OF THIS PROBLEM, EXCEPT IT STARTED THREE MONTHS AFTER THE WRECK RIGHT WHEN I STOPPED TAKING MUSCLE RELAXANTS AND FINISHED PT.

I GAG AND CHOKE AND THE ENT DOCTOR ADVISED ME TO START TAKING THE MUSCLE RELAXANTS AGAIN, WHICH I HAVE AND IT HAS SLIGHTLY IMPROVED. THEN IT TIRED ME OUT SO I STOPPED AGAIN WITH THE IRRITABILITY OF GAG/CHOKE AGAIN BEGAN.

WHAT TYPE OF DOCTOR DO I SEE FOR COMPLETE RESOLUTION OVER THIS? THE ENT DOCTOR TOLD ME TO SEE A NEUROLOGIST. CAN YOU GUIDE ME INTO THE RIGHT DIRECTION?

THANK YOU, KRISTIN