Neurology Expert Forum
GENETIC

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

GENETIC

MY AUNT DIED LAST JUNE FROM ALS, HER SISTER, MY OTHER AUNT DIED LAST NIGHT FROM ALS.  THIS DISEASE CAME OUT OF    NO WHERE ?  I HAVE 3 OTHER AUNTS STILL LIVING PLUS MY MOM, HOW WORRIED SHOULD I BE? THEY RANGE FROM 65 TO 86. I READ SOMETHING ABOUT A GENE OR CHROMOSOME, BUT DID NOT UNDERSTAND.  CAN ANYBODY HELP ?    
=
I am sorry to hear about your aunts.
In general, ALS is not a genetic disease, but there is a genetic form.
The last time I reviewed the numbers, about 10% of cases of ALS are familial - that is, hereditary. That means 90% are not. If you have two relatives who each had ALS, that suggests possibly a genetic form but that doesn't mean it is written in stone.
Of the 10% of ALS which runs in families, about 10% of those cases (total about 1% of all ALS) is related to a specific defective enzyme. That is the copper-zinc superoxide dismutase (Cu-Zn SOD), which you may have seen because there is a lot of research interest.
For specific questions, you may want to consult with an ALS expert. We have such an expert here at CCF. You may call 800 223-2273 and ask for neurology appointments to arrange an evaluation, if you have any symptoms you are concerned about.
CCF MD mdf.