Gabapentin Weight Gain
I have had RSD in my left leg for three years and I take gabapentin that reduces the pain somewhat. While on gabapentin I have gained at least 20 lbs. Is there another drub I could use to reduce the pain so I can loose this weight? I am miserable being overweight. I causes pain in my ribs and I can't find clothes that fit. I am 5'3" and small boned. Please help.
Hi there!

Weight gain is a common side effect of gabapentin. To keep weight under check while on the medication, dietary modification by limited carbohydrate intake and regular physical exercise is advised. Most people are able to maintain the weight by these conservative methods. If this is a major issue and conservative management is not helpful, you may seek a review with your treating doctor for a possible change in the medication.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
I also have gained 15 pounds on Gabapentin. My doc says that the Amitriptyline is more likely the culprit. I am SO over it!! I'm asking for a switch on the next visit.
Thank you. I know I can cut the carbs, but it is hard for me to walk and that cuts down on the exercise. I was wondering if Keppra might be a good alternative medicine for RSD pain.