Neurology Community
Gadolinium Retention in Healthy Male - No Kidney/Renal Problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I had an MRI with contrast (20cc's of MultiHance) performed 3 weeks ago in NYC and have been feeling horrible since.....joint pain, muscle pain/weakness, skin pain/burning sensations, chest pain, throbbing veins, headaches, nausea, fatigue, back pain,  random bruising, ect.

I had a random urine test performed by the Mayo Clinic this week and my gadolinium levels were 12mcg, 300x the normal range of 0.0-0.4mcg.  My blood tests have come back normal twice in the past two weeks with respect to eGFR, BUN, Creatinine, BUN/Creatinine, ect..  The neurologists at Columbia University and my primary are baffled and unable to provide me guidance at this time.  I spoke to a Nephrologist and a Dermatologist who were also undable to provide me guidance.  They all quote the basic research that they have read that states this never happens in patients without kidney problems.  Clearly, they have been proven wrong.  

Any insight or guidance based on experience and industry knowledge would be very much appreciated.  Thank you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Gadolinium retention occurs if there is decreased renal function as stated by your treating doctors. In a study on a single patient with elevated levels, it was found that excessive Zinc in the body can cause gadolinium retention. This could be the case with other minerals also, just thinking aloud. What about trying to flush it out with increased fluid intake?

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for your response.  I've been drinking as much water as possible to do just that and also came across that article on transmetallation.  However, I'd like to figure out from an organic chemistry standpoint what would cause the gadolinium to break its bond with the chelating agent.  Also, if my renal/liver function is normal then why is the gadolinium still in my system 4 weeks post MRI?  To get to the root of the issue and alleviate the burning skin sensation and joint/bone pain, I've seen my primary, an osteopath, a neurologist, a dermatologist, and a nephrologist.  I'm also now in touch with the specialists at Yale to hopefully gain additional insight.  

**The main answer I am looking for is how do I safely remove the gadolinium from my system?  I'm afraid to use a chelating agent like EDTA via an osteopath out of fear of decreasing other key minerals/metals in my system and dialysis is not really an option at this point.  Rather than give up due to the lack of knowledge/interest/motivation of physicians and wait to develop further problems (more pain, autoimmune issues, ect) only to hear later on "I'm sorry, but this has never happened before", I want to find answers to some key questions and move forward with a logical course of action.

Questions:
What would Gd normally bind to? I assume that it would prefer to ionically bond with other atoms? Or does it prefer covalent bond?  I know that the atom in my body has a +3 charge and that it would probably need to have an ionic bond with multiple atoms in order to complete its f orbital which requires 14 electrons in total.

Is GdOH a very stable bond or are you aware of any other molecules or atoms within the body that would prefer to take the -OH (hydroxide) away from Gadolinium? What molecular properties does zinc exhibit that other minerals/metals in the body also exhibit that would allow for a similar bond.  

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3180881/

"Since Gd3+ ions have a similar ionic radius to Ca2+ (107.8 pm vs. 114 pm) and are known to form coordination complexes with ligands such as PO43−, which is abundant in the bone matrix material hydroxyapatite, the data suggest that the predominant Gd species is not protein bound but incorporated into the bone matrix. "

-Once in the bone matrix, how could I go about removing it?
Hi portadown,

I'm a 25 year old male in Virginia and also recently had an MRA with gadolinium. I'm afraid I'm experiencing the symptoms for toxicity as well and am considering osteopath chelation using EdtA. Please follow up with any info and you'll be in my prayers for a quick healing.  
My levels are still elevated from 7 months ago and I am very ill. For the the rashes have passed except for in my mouth.

Also, I am a scientist. I would like to get so,e cases published. This seems to be more common than everyone lets on. What is going on now? Where have your physicians lead you? I have been to every specialist. I have found a toxicologist who is interested. But cases need to get into actual medical literature to be taken seriously. Would any of your docs at Columbia be willing to publish it? Of course it is anonymous for the patient

Drop me a message so,e time and I can send you my email and phone number. We could probably both use a sounding board and a friend. There are some great people in this community....one of them may have contacted you. We need to band together to get better and raise awareness
I too am having poisoned in singapore from MRI contrast. my thighs burn, my blood circulation is bad in legs and arms, chest pains that fatigues me, brain fog, confusion and blur vision.

i am not the same person before the MRI..... only option now is to try to detox it out of the system , but what methods to use?
I guys,

I did two mri with gadolinium because I have some vision problems. After mri I recognize that my problems increased. Initially I did not associate that to mris. Afterwards I discovered that gadolinium can have neurotoxic effect. I did a chelation test using edta agent and, after one year from the last mri with contrast, I discovered that I still have gadolinium in my body.
Now I am following a chelation procedure with edta with ACAM protocol. Right now I did 6 infusion of edta (2 hours each). I am not experimenting improvements but doctor say that it can be a long process. I want to continue for a while, I will decide what to do in the future.

I am Italian, I do infusion in Milan. In the medical study where I go there are dozens of people that, for various reasons, they do edta infusions, typically for detoxify from heavy metals. The majority of them told me that they are improving and they feel better, many of them did 20 or 30 or 60 edta infusions.

For the moment it is for that, even if I am not feeling improvements, I want to going on.

Ciao a tutti
My daughter (49 years old) has been very ill since the end of January 2013.  She had 3 or more MRIs in 1 week and became more ill after that.   The hospitals could not find what was wrong with her and sent her home.  She finally found a toxologist and had a heavy metal test.  The gadolinium count was 47 and off the metal chart.  The gadolinium has stayed in her body.  She is now going through chelation and sometimes it is higher 59, but not below 36.  She has not had any renal disease to cause this problem.  She has asked me to search to see if there are other people like herself that are having similar problems.  We are in need of answers and ideas.  She would like to communicate if at all possible.
This happened to me too.  I am looking for specialists who will help me.  I had it on a hair test.  I have many symptoms of scleroderma and mastocytosis.  I really need help and I am treated like I'm crazy over this.  It is in my hair.  Urine test is pending.  I have been going to hot yoga.  I can't go to the gym anymore because of the increasing severity of what used to be a latex sensitivity but is now something that is turning into anaphylaxis.  Thank you magnevist
Update.  I have since been hospitalized twice for rhabdomylosis (rapid muscle breakdown) immediately following two light workouts.  Doctors do not know why this is occurring.  Renal function and the additional blood tests were both normal.  I had a blood test in July 2013 that was positive for gadolinium but on the low end of the range.  The urine test I noted above was also positive at 30x the high end of the range.  How's your daughter doing?
I am so glad to hear from someone.
My daughter is doing better, but still has some problems.  It took months to get the gadolinium down to a low level with celations.  She is still having problems with her body functions.  I am going to send her the link to this site so that she may abe able to read these messages and know she's not alone.  Are you getting any better.  I sure hope so.
What kind of chelation did she do? My levels two months out are very high. I have had extremely serious health effects. The doctor at that time would not do a gadolinium test; maybe if the had done it then.....
Is it too late to chelate?  I am afraid I have nfs.
Thanks.