Neurology Community
Genital Herpes and Multiple Sclerosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Genital Herpes and Multiple Sclerosis

Hi, I have relapsing remitting MS diagnosed in 1998.  I have been reasonably well and have had few relapses.  About a year ago I was dianosed with genital herpes and have had two episodes since diagnosis too.  I have no idea when I contracted this and I have read that it could have been lying dormant in my system for years possibly.  I have some questions NOT including whether the herpes could have caused my MS as I have both conditions and there's not much I can do about that.

My questions are:
Should I inform my neurologist of my herpes diagnosis?
Can the herpes exacerbate my MS?
Should I be on long term acycovir for one or both?
What are the statistical risks of my herpes causing brain damage or blindness?

I can't believe that I have now to deal with these two conditions... surely having MS should have been enough!!!! Very frustrating.  However, I am well aware that I am much better off than many people and I will I am sure learn to live with this addition to my medical conditions.
Thanks in advance for my advice
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Welcome to the neurology forum of medhelp. Thanks for writing in. Yes there is a documented association of human herpes virus with multiple sclerosis etiology.  You need to tell your neurologist about this. You need to be treated for this though genital herpes cannot be cured. There are antiviral drugs like acyclovir, valacyclovir and famciclovir which can shorten the episodes and decrease their severity. Acyclovir reduces the pain and number of lesions in the initial case of herpes and reduces recurrence. The ointment applied topically reduces pain, healing time and limits the spread. Though rare, herpes virus can cause inflammation of membranes and the cerebrospinal fluid surrounding your brain and spinal cord. I hope this answers to most of your queries. Feel free to contact me for any further query.
Thank you for your welcome and your prompt response.  You have answered my questions very clearly and I shall inform my neurologist and get some treatment as soon as possible.

Thanks again for your help
i have a gf that has tupe 2 herpies (herpes) and i have ms were planing on having a kid but have been pushing it off because we dont know if i will be infected please help