Neurology Community
Global Delay in Myelination

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Global Delay in Myelination

My Daughter is 8 months old, she's seizures when she was 6 weeks old and had an MRI comes out normal and since she's taking phenobarbital twice delay, she had a couple of blood test its comes normal, we're seeing a Pedia. Neurologist and she had 2nd MRI last month and the findings was she had a global delay in myelination, she can't roll over yet but if you put her on the side she can turn to tummy from tummy to the back, no problem with eating, tracking are great, hearing no problem, muscles are little tight but its progressing so far for the help of OT/PT. She had a spinal tap last week for further test why she had a delays so hopefully they will find something to fix it, there is any medication than can help the white matter of the brain to grow normally?  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. Did your daughter have a birth trauma causing any cerebral asphyxia? Certain degree of delayed developmental milestones is acceptable and does not imply mental lag. you need to answer a few questions like any history of maternal illness or trauma antenatal, any radiation exposure or intake of drugs potentially harmful for fetus,  birth asphyxia, etc. check with a neurologist since your daughter’s mri showed delayed myelination. Dietary supplements of essential fatty acids and vitamin D could help. Keep track with your neurologist of any progress that she makes in her milestones. Hope this helps. Take care.

Thank you so much for the answers doctor Sharma, I don't have any problem during my pregnancy all the test was normal, I never been sick just only for my 1st trimester, I had an anti-natal testing because they thought there is something wrong with my baby why it's so little for 35+ weeks but the result was normal they got a wrong due date, I didn't take any medication aside from by pregnancy pills "Prenaxa" and then after 3 months I changed it with generic brand. I don't know about the birth trauma because I was supposed to had a baby at the birth center but I was transfer to Sutter hospital because the Midwife said that my dilation was very slow so we moved to hospital and they gave me pitocin and and I don't have any epidural  or anything all the way.. I heard from the Nurse that I might end up with C-section because she said that the heartbeat of the baby was dropping down sometimes but i didn't happen, I deliver her normally and all the test done was normal...do we need a prescription from the Neurologist for fatty acids and vitamin D?