Neurology Community
Gluten Ataxia, Cerebellar?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Gluten Ataxia, Cerebellar?

All in a month my mom got really skinny.She was vomitting on and off, was very weak and disoriented & in excruciating in pain, her pain is in her neck and shoulder.
My Moms medical history is - She had seizures when she was a little girl, she was on medication for seizures for 5years. When she was a teenager she got tested for epilepsy and the doctor said its "not classic epilepsy."
She has bad balance for as long as she can remember and has had "dizzy spells"/mini-strokes (where her eyes roll to the back of her head, if she can hold onto something she sways back and forth, if not then she falls to the floor-she has no muscle control, it only lasts for maybe 15-20 seconds if that. It used to only happen when she got up real fast, but now it happens even when shes just sitting. She has slurred speech and head tremors. She feels weak alot and had a series of injuries from falls (broken arm and leg) (2 & 3rd degree burns on her feet) and totaling her car.  She has ringing in her right ear and hearing loss in her right. She is very shaky when writing and getting the fork to the mouth.  She also has neck and shoulder pain and it comes and goes when it wants, sometimes its all day on and off every two hours and rated between 1-10 as a 20!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can see it that she is suffering in excruciating pain. She also has to get b12 shots which she says she notices a difference in how she feels after the b12shots. About maybe 6 months or more ago- a doctor said she had "Cerebellar ataxia" WHICH the results for it came out negative. In one month she dropped weight like I said up above, she was around 140 maybe a little less down to 110LBS.  Her doctor ran tests and found no cancer, ulcers or anything of the sort but came to the conclusion that she has Celiac disease,
BUT what about the loss of coordination that she has(bad balance, slow speech,tremors, etc??) Could it be she has epilepsy with celiac diseas AND gluten ataxia??

I'd like to hear back from a doctor, or someone who can relate to this.Please tell me what you know, think, any input, knowledge, anything you can help me with, could this really be the diagnosis shes been looking for 30+years! She is now starting a gluten free diet, its too soon to tell if shes getting better, she is still suffering in pain on and off, but I do see that she doesnt shake like she used to???. Since gluten effects the small intestine-how much time before she can get healed?And if it is effecting her brain from not getting the nutrients....Now that she is on the diet will her brain go back to normal, or will it remain the same??   Please write back.

thanks.
ask her MD about pernicious anemia. B12 deficiency and Vitamin D deficiency.  Easy tests to get!
I hope she gets better soon after starting the gluten free diet.