Neurology Community
Got transverse myelitis while pregnant with first child

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi, when I was 37 and 6 weeks pregnant, I got what was finally diagnosed as TM. I had never had any neurological symptoms before (nor no underlying conditions, wasn't sick or anything) and was told it was probably the first onset of MS. They didn't MRI me or give me any treatment because of the pregnancy. My TM was what they call a mild case--didn't seem mild to me! (extensive numbness torso/legs/feet and strange sensations esp. legs and feet, urinary issues, legs felt heavy and uncoordinated). The TM had a "good" result in that I improved and have been left with just extensive numbness in the torso, legs and feet. I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, who was healthy despite all of this (my terror was that this had affected her). After I gave birth I got the mri which confirmed a spinal lesion (the brain scan was clean, so no MS), at which point they diagnosed TM.

I'm now 39 and my husband is 46 and we can't decide whether or not to try for another kid. We're older, and my pregnancy was a terrifying experience with the TM (especially because I have an anxiety disorder). But, my daughter is 2 and amazing!! :) Also, nobody seems to know anything about what causes TM and I can't find any information as to whether or not this may happen again were I to become pregnant again. The TM onset right at the beginning of my pregnancy hardly seems like it could be coincidence and I know TM is autoimmune. I can't, however, even find another account of someone getting TM while they were already pregnant-- most of the posts I see ask about possible pregnancies in folks who already had TM. Has anyone heard of this? Did it happen to anyone else? And, any thoughts on how I might get an answer as to possible reoccurrence were I to become pregnant again? Thank you so much!!
  Hi, my name is Carol and I have MS... My symptoms started 1 day after the birth of my 3rd son... It took several years for me to get diagnosed but I finally did in 2008... I would really appreciate it if you would post this on the MS forum... I think you would get a lot of responses...

There are several folks over there who have been diagnosed with MS by only having spinal lesions... There are some who have been diagnosed with having only 1 lesion too... Have you ever had a lumbar puncture or any other types of tests?

If you could post over there I think you would be surprised at the responses... Also, have you seen a MS Specialist?  I think that would be a good idea too... A second opinion never hurt at all... I hope to talk to you soon...

I'll be praying,
Carol