Neurology Expert Forum
Grand Mal Seizures/ Bump on my head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Grand Mal Seizures/ Bump on my head

Hello, My name is Becky Payne. I'm a 22 year old female and started having seizures almost 2 years ago. In the last two years I have had 5 grand mal seizures which usually leave me in the ICU for at least 3 days. Not only do I have the big grand mals but I also have mini seizures which usually end me up in the ER for a night. I was told that my seizures are stress induced and I have to take medicine twice a day or else I will have a seizure. What I was wondering if this bump that I have on the back of my head could have anything to do with my seizures. I have had it ever since I was a freshman, or at least thats when I first noticed it. It is a fatty feeling bump, which is about 3 inches long, half an inch high off the head. It is located about where the spinal cord and the skull meet. (I took high school anatomy and my teacher its about the spot where men have a bump and women do not, and since I am a women I'm pretty sure its not supposed to be there) it hurts when someone pushes on it and kind of makes me light headed when it is touched. I was in a car accident when I was a sophomore, I hit my head on the side and front pretty hard but not hard enough for them to keep me in the hospital even over night. I was just wondering if maybe this bump on the back of my head could have anything to do with my seizures. I've had sooo many test and procedures done that you would think they would have seen it somewhere if it is not supposed to be there. I haven't told anyone about this bump tho, for one I forget about it when I have a grand mal or mini mal. Everyone forgets about it bc my seizures are so severe when they happen. So I was just wondering if this is something that could be contributing to my seizures, causing my seizures, or I should just go get looked at. Thank you!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Is the bump soft or hard? I am not sure what the bump is you are talking about. There is an area of the skull called the inion that is a bony projection in the back of the head. It is found in everyone and may be more prominent in some.

I am assuming you have had an MRI and EEG. Were these normal? You should follow up with a neurologist. It would be important to determine what your seizures are (epileptic vs nonepileptic), what the etiology is, and what can be done about them.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
Thank you for answering my question. My mom and I were just talking about my seizures and I asked her about the bump on the back of my head. She never knew it was there. So I was looking around online and found this website and tried to find a question that had something similar but i couldn't so then i was like heck i'll just ask haha. I plan on going into the doctor to get it checked out. Its a soft bump that i'm able to move around. As far as I know my MRIs and EEGs have all come back ok. which is why they say the seizures are caused by stress. they have said my seizures are epileptic only because i've had more then three.. they said that the seizures are stress induced and once i had my third one that i now have epilepsy. I cant see my neurologist anymore bc of money problems.