Grappling with a Shunt
This seems like the place to discuss this, as it seems there are a lot of people who know more than I do on the subject.

I was diagnosed with hydrocephalus when I was a year old and have had a shunt since then. I am now 30 and one of the most important things in my life is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and submission wrestling. I've been doing it for roughly 5 years. I'm wondering if there is anyone else doing this? I don't know much about hydrocephalus or my shunt for that matter, just that it is there. I've had it replaced a couple of times. My last revision was in '03 to replace a faulty tube. I know that what I do is very risky given my condition, but it's a part of my life. I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks that seem to come on when I am unable to train. I guess a question I would ask is; is there anything I can do to protect myself from damaging my shunt? Not kidding, should I wear a helmet? I simply can not fathom a life without BJJ, but I know that one wrong move could put me in the hospital. I know that I'm not really asking a pointed question, just looking for a dialogue. Like I said, I really don't know anything about what I have, only that I need to protect my head...