Neurology Community
Grinding and Mashing in Shoulder

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Grinding and Mashing in Shoulder

I am a 21 year old male experiencing grinding in my left shoulder. The grinding is located right above and my left collar bone and may also be in part of my left trap. The grinding is noticable when I make large circles with my arm. Along with the grinding is pain in my rotator cuff and shoulder area when lifting weights, with the pain being most prominent in bench press and military press. I have also noticed occasional neck pain while exercising. I have not had a good work out since the injury first appeared. I have had this problem since July 2007, and no family physician, physiotherapist, or chiropractor has been able to figure me out. I have been in treatment for about 5 months with no signs of improvement. Prior to the injury, I was weightlifting for 3 years and was in top notch physical and cardiovascular shape. I have also been having stiffness and mild discomfort in my hands and elbows (I am not sure if these are connected to my shoulder problem). I would be be very appreciative of any response or help with this.

Thanks to anyone who reads or responds
Good day to you.

This grinding sensation can be brought about by the wear and tear of the cartilage inside the joints.  The cartilage usually acts as a cushion to lessen the friction of bone sliding against bone.  If this cartilage fails, then you'll experience pain and this grinding sensation.  I suggest you consult with an orthopedic surgeon.  He may do a arthroscopy to visualize the condition of the joints or ask you to perform non invasive imaging tests such as MRI.  Treatment will depend on the results.

For now, it will be very helpful for you to continue the exercises that your physiotherapist recommends.  I strongly suggest not increasing the weights you are lifting for now.

I hope this helps. My regards...
I have this same experience, does your shoulder freeze at times, it could be a sign of bursitis or commonly called frozen shoulder. What you my be hearing is the bursa sacks moving over the cartilage. If this is the case, the doctor will first run a x ray, then possibly a MRI. Sometime Cortisone shoots would be injected into the shoulder, although I have heard that these shot elevates some pain, but it is not worth it. I can not raise my arms to a salute or they would lock out. My doctor hasn't really done anything about my frozen shoulder and it is still getting worse.
Thank you for getting back to me. I have arranged an appointment with my family physician so he can refer me to an orthopedic surgeon. Hopefully something can be done. I will let you know of any updates to my condition.

Thanks :)