Neurology Expert Forum
Grinding of my teeth while awake(Painfull)

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have extream pain in my upper and lower jaw(right side)and in my teeth. I thought it was a tooth ache, but the dentist said it's probably because I grind my teeth. I admit that I do. Most cases I have read about talk about people who do this in their sleep. I don't know if I do or dont. I do know that I have a problem with it while I am awake. I will catch my self grinding my teeth or biting down real hard. I do the with out knowing. Is there a reason for this. I have been on pain pills for the past three weeks because the pain has gooten so bad. Why? and what can I do. Thanks for any help. Robert Can you E-mail me if you know of any treatments in the Sacramento, Ca area......
Dear Robert,
Sleep Grinding (Bruxism)as you mentioned usually occurs during sleep to a small degree in most people, but severe bruxism resulting in abnormal wear of the teeth, jaw pain, and peridontal tissue damage occurs in approximatley 0.2% of adults.  Bruxism is more common during the early stages of sleep and is more common after stress.  Occasionaly it is familial.  No pathological lesion has ever been found.  It would be important to establish whether or not you are having this activity during the night (as well as during the day).  You may want to discuss this with your primary doctor or neurologist to find a center in your area that performs sleep studies (actually moniter and video your activity during sleep).  If this is indeed the case, benzodiazipines and a tooth guard may be helpful to alleviate some of the symptoms.  Good Luck.