Neurology Community
Gritty Sound

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Gritty Sound

I can hear a gritty sound at the base of my neck when I turn my head.  I only hear it when I turn my head from left to right.  I also have pain at the base of my neck and through my shoulders.  I just thought it was tension, but now I'm beginning to wonder.  Is this normal?  Should I see a doctor?

Thanks for writing in.
Yes it is better if you get evaluated by your doctor as most likely this gritty sound is originating from your cervical spine due to cervical spondylitis or disc prolapse. This requires further evaluation. In the meantime please make sure you avoid any violent movements of head and neck and take rest.
Take care!