Neurology Expert Forum
HELP ME DIAGNOSE MY PAIN

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

HELP ME DIAGNOSE MY PAIN

I HAD A ULTRASOUND AND DIAGNOSED WITH MULTIPLE BREAST CYSTS. I HAD A 3 CYSTS DRAINED. THE FOLLOWING DAY MY LEFT ARM BEGAN TO ACHE AND OVER THE COMING WEEKS I FELT A STINGING, TINGLING PAIN RADIATING INTO MY HAND. I HAVE BEEN VERY STRESSED AND WORRIED THAT THE ULTRASOUND WAS WRONG SO WENT BACK AND WAS REASSURED THAT I DID NOT HAVE BREAST CANCER AND MY PAIN COULD OF BEEN CAUSED BY THE FINE NEEDLE ASPIRATION BECAUSE I SUFFERED A BURST BLOOD VESSEL. THE PAIN MOVED TO MY OTHER ARM AND AFTER VISITING A CHIROPRACTIONER MY NECK IS ACHY AND SORE AND I NOW HAVE A PAIN IN MY LEFT LEG..... MY ARM NOW FEELS LIKE A DULL ACHE ALONG WITH MY SHOULDERS, MY NECK STINGS ALONG WITH MY LEG. I KEEP CRYING BECAUSE I AM SO SCARED IT IS SOMETHING SERIOUS AND I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE.... SOMEBODY SUGGESTED I WAS SUFFERING FROM STRESS (I HOPE SO)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Arm symptoms following a procedure such as a fine needle aspirate are usually reflective of a benign process such as a small hematoma (bleed) during the procedure or reactive lymphadenopathy (transient swelling of the glands in the armpit in reaction to the procedure). This usually resolves within a few days.

Your other symptoms of neck stiffness and diffuse pains may be a reflection of stress. In some people, stress and anxiety can cause physical symptoms, and the treatment would be treatment of the underlying stress and anxiety with relaxation techqniques and in some cases medications.

Another cause of neck pain with pain in a limb is radiculopathy. The spinal cord is encased by bones called vertebra. Nerves start to form as they come off the spinal cord and exit through holes formed between the vertebra. If a nerve is compressed on as it exits through these holes, particularly in an area called the nerve root, a radiculopathy results. The compression could be due to arthritis of the spine or due to a herniated disc or other lesions. The symptoms include pain at the level of the problem (i.e. neck or back etc) and pain that may radiate down the arm or leg (depending on where the problem is). In more advanced cases, muscle weakness or sensory symptoms such as tingling or numbness may occur. A radiculopathy is often diagnosed based on history, physical examination, and MRI of the spine.

Given that your symptoms have started after your breast cyst aspiration and are not really consistent with a radiculopathy or other neurologic problem, while other causes need to be excluded, stress and anxiety are a likely cause.

Stress and anxiety are again treatable conditions, and I recommend that you see your primary doctor, he/she after examining you and excluding other causes to your symptoms may choose to recommend medications (such as antidepressants which have anti-anxiety properties, a brief course of anti-anxiety medications), or in some cases counseling by a psychologist to help you through the scare that you had when you were concerned about the breast cancer is sometimes even more effective than medications.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.