Neurology Community
HSV II results

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

HSV II results

I went to Planned Parenthood for my annual Pap smear about 6 months ago. The nurse asked me if I wanted to take an STD test. I didn't have any weird symptoms, but I thought why not, just in case. She called me two weeks later and informed me that I tested positive for  HSV II. I was devastated. I have been with the same person for over a year and neither of us have any symptoms. I told him he should get tested and his results came back negative. I received a letter with my test results and it read "not normal, result is equivocal. It's borderline suggest of genital herpes". There are  no numbers, only words.
I'm confused. What does equivocal really mean? The nurse never suggested a retest. She said I should take acyclovir for my outbreaks. Like I said before I have been with the same person for over a year and I've never had an outbreak. I know some people never experience symptoms but it doesn't make my sense to me.
Does equivocal mean a recent exposure or a past exposure?
I've made another appointment. I would have done it sooner but wanted to make sure enough time has passed (still no outbreak).  

Please advise.

Thank you!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If you do not have any outbreaks or symptoms at present, its unlikely that you have HSV II. For the test results, all results under 3.5 are suspect, and the closer to 1.0, the more likely the result is false.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I have HSV1 that I contracted, I believe from my current partner whom I have been with for 2 years, yet neither of us had any symptoms until about 6 months ago, this is what we found out:
A person can be HSV I or II positive and not know it, show no signs or symptoms for years undetected, most docs wont even test for it unless you are having an outbreak because it is very hard to detect, they have to test you for the antibodies, which is expensive so they dont do it until you have an  outbreak.  
About 1 in 4 people carries HSV and most dont even know it.
It is very hard to expose someone to the virus unless you have an outbreak and that is probably why your partner is negative since you have never had an outbreak.
You probably contracted it at some point in your sex life and there is no way to tell when or from who cause you can have it for years with no symptoms.
Often times symptoms can be mistaken for a UTI or yeast infection, they are about as equally painful.  When the outbreak starts it will look like tiny red bumps like razor burn or a rash, sometimes it could be mistaken for an ingrown hair.  If you notice any of these or they sting, go to a doc immediately and MAKE them do a culture. I went to the doctor twice in a lot of pain telling them that I knew what it was cause my bf had just been diagnosed and because it was milder than a typical outbreak they did not test me until I insisted and the symptoms progressed. The faster you go and get the acyclovir (meds) the quicker it feels better and it can actually keep it from getting very severe.
There is still more info than this but I hope this helps. Send me a private message if you have any questions.