Neurology Community
HUGE QUESTION ABOUT MY TYPE OF MIGRAINE, I DON'T UNDERSTAND AND NE...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

HUGE QUESTION ABOUT MY TYPE OF MIGRAINE, I DON'T UNDERSTAND AND NEED HELP, PLEASE AND THANK YOU...

Hi Everyone
I've tried to help others here who suffer from migraines as I do but there are a few questions that I have of my own after reading and researching.
I've explained that I know what my triggers are and how I can narrow them down to avoid the headaches, what to do when I do get one, I employ a lot of different things to make them go away. The only migraine that I seem to really be unable to understand or find much information on is the one that puts me on total bedrest for days on end. I have not mentioned in previous postings that I have medication to use for these migraines and so I will only take them at the onset of this type of migraine. One thing that I have to mention is the fact that I have a tendency to wait until my migraines have a really firm grip on me before I take any type of pain meds for them. I think that could be why sometimes the migraines get worse and linger forever. When I'm first getting a migraine though it's difficult to tell whether it's the really bad one coming or the one that I have for a few days and then it's gone. I have all the same types of signs and symptoms for every migraine. The medication that I now use for my migraine is Migrin-A, generic for Midrin. I take this two at onset, then one every two hours for a maximum dose of 5, if at the end of that dosage, I still have the migraine, I simply repeat the cycle until the migraine is gone. Usually with the migraine that severe, it will take a couple of rounds but rarely more.
Here's the question...what type of migraine is this that I get? It starts on one side, stays there for a couple of days, as it intensifies, it switches sides and when I feel like I'm in purgatory, it takes up my entire head, my neck muscles tighten up more and my back gets involved. My head feels as though I would feel so much better if it would fall off and just roll down the hill, then I would be completely rid of the migraine and back to a functioning human being. The total progression of this migraine will take place over a one to two week period. It's a gradual type of migraine in that I get so many signs and symptoms before onset. The light/sound sensitivity as it is a dull ache, then the auras begin, the dizziness, nausea, vomiting all follow one after the other. During the time that it's at it's worst, I just want to be left alone and do not eat or drink...there's no point because I won't keep stuff down. The other day before this migraine that I have now (yes I do have one and I'm typing but I'm in that three day window of it being tolerable but a nuisance)I was so dizzy with every movement I made with my head, I couldn't watch movement on my computer screen because it made me sick to my stomach. I've never been that dizzy before the migraine comes blasting into my head.
Is there a name for this type of migraine? I've read about cluster, I've read about cervicogenic, and one other one but they didn't exactly fit the type of migraine that I experience. I can sometimes avoid the worst migraine but not often.
Any clues? Please share and thank you for your input and time in responding.

NaniKai~
I have no clue what kind of migraine you're having.  You need to see a headache specialist, perhaps at a headache clinic.  There are all manner of medications used for migrain suppression which is what you need. These vary from things like Topomax (topamax), to tricyclic, to several of the antidepressants like Effexor, to atypical anticonvulsants.

Good luck, Quix
Wow, I had no idea that my migraine would be so complicated or that they have headache clinics...do neurologist/pain managment offer anything in the way of headache intervention? I don't know if we have a headache clinic in my city, I do not drive either because of my knee so I use city transit to go where I go or amtrak for outside travel. My side to side motion and reaction time diminished in my knee and I didn't think it would be safe for me or others to be on the road unless my knee becomes more stable.

NaniKai
You're in California aren't you?  Here's one link for headache clinics in Cal

http://headaches.about.com/od/californiadocsclinics/Headache_and_Migraine_Doctors_and_Clinics_in_California_USA.htm

Just search for "headache clinic"  and your city

Good luck

Thank you Quix, I'm sorry for not responding sooner but after such a great birthday dinner at Cheesecake Factory, I got sleepy and didn't recheck the board until now, got woke up with pain :(...
I'll check on the link after I return from my physical therapy. I was told by the doctor that I would have traction on my neck but I haven't. If all I have done is the TENS and ice I'm not seeing the benefit of this. I can do a neck massage pillow and ice at home. I need to have some tension on my neck so that the discs can fall back into place, no? I'm trying so hard to avoid surgery. I have to tell you that the neck exercises BITE, I do not enjoy them and my neck gets really tired and sore after doing them. I think this is not going to be an easy road that I've chosen for myself.

Thanks again Quix,
NaniKai