Neurology Community
HYPOXIC ISCHEMIC ENCEPHALOPATHY

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

HYPOXIC ISCHEMIC ENCEPHALOPATHY

I live in England and have a 2 year old son ( 3 in september ). i have been told that he was starved of oxygen at birth and is Epileptic and the neurologist has written on his report hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy. what does this mean in plain English. i have read that this is another term for cerebal palsy, am i guessing right ? and should i be concerned about his head circumference as when he was born it was on the 50th centile and now it is on the 0.4 centile. Jamie has significant
feeding problems, smell / taste of food triggers his epilepsy and he will not take any as he clamps lips, turns his head and pushes you away. we struggle to feed him his medicine milk fortini which he was prescribed by a dietician. Jamies epilepsy consists of eye rolling, head jerk and drop attacks... also blanks / trances and eyes glaze over. Initially they thought it was Lennox Gastaut Syndrome but the neurologist is still studying his EEG traces and states that he has a very challenging epilepsy. Another question i would like to ask is that i was surprised when he had an MRI scan it came back clear... again the neurologist is going to study the results.  Jamie is also developmentally delayed of a child approx 1 to 1 1/2 years old... no speech yet.  
I am sorry that your child has to go through all this.
Answers to your questions are as follows;
What does this mean in plain English?
+ At the time of birth of your child had decrease supply of oxygen to brain which has resulted in permanent damage to your Childs brain.
It is not another term for Cerebral Palsy, but this is one of the causes for Cerebral Palsy among the several causes we know off.
I am surprised to know that a child who is having developmental delay with probable motor co-ordination defect with seizures, the MRI has turned to be normal. It is questionable and you should be showing the scans to a neuro-radiologist.
Keep me posted if you have any queries.
Bye.
HI, Thanks for reply. At the moment i am getting confused messages from the experts i don;t think they know. All i know is my son was hypoxic at birth. The neurologist at first seemed to think he had Lennox Gastaut but has now changed is mind as the EEG pattern doesn't fit. Then he wrote and said that it was not an idiopathic epilepsy as these children develop normally. My son is developmentally delayed of approx 1 year or more behind ( he is 3 in September ). Significantly intolerant to solid food near or in his mouth
by the way of head turning clamping lips and pushing away. The neurologist has now written stating " probable idiopathic generalized epilepsy ". He is on Sodium Valproate and Keppra. If Keppra doesn't work he will try Topirimate and then has suggested the Ketogenic diet. If he does go on the Ketogenic diet will it mean Jamie going to special clinic. ?