Neurology Community
Had a Concussion 2 Weeks Ago

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Had a Concussion 2 Weeks Ago

I had a concussion a little over 2 weeks ago, and I had the typical signs afterwards..headache, nausea, tiredness, etc. I thought I was feeling a little bit better but then it just got worse and worse. Now I can't concentrate or focus (I'm a college student and 50 minute lectures were no problem for me, but now after 10 minutes my mind is gone..and that's extremely problematic). It seems as if I can't keep a train of thought and will lose it very quickly if it's too much at once. I'm unusually tired constantly and have a very hard time waking up. It's like my eyes are open but my mind is still asleep..which is also problematic when I have 9 am classes 3 days and have to be to work at 8 am 2 days of the week. I'm nauseous all the time as well, and add dizziness to that and that just makes it 10x worse. Also, I've had an ongoing headache that hasn't gone away since this happened..and its not just a headache but it feels like my head is going to explode. And last but not least, the most annoying this is my ears WILL NOT stop ringing.
I've been to the doctor for this and he said I should be okay within a couple weeks. But it hasn't gotten any better, it's actually gotten worse. What could be the problem and should I make another appointment with my doctor?
Tags: concussion, Headache, nausea, 2 weeks ago
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. Since this is a  concussion injury which is a brain injury causes by a sudden blow to the head or to the body.  Symptoms of a concussion include memory loss, headaches or blurry vision, nausea, inability to stand or walk or having coordination and balance problems.  There is an entity of post concussive syndrome where there is inability to think and headaches, changes in sleep patterns and personality etc. This needs to be evaluated clinically, CT/MRI scan brain needs to be done to rule out. Take care.

Okay, thank you very much!
I had a mild Traumatic Brain Injury 1 year 8 months ago followed by Post Concussion Syndrome.  I still have all the symptoms you mentioned and somethings got better.  But the constant dizziness and fatigue disabled me at this point.  You need to get a CT/MRI as Dr. Sharma suggested.

Most likely it shows nothing but you never know.  After my injury I pushed myself, went to work etc., and after 5 weeks it got extremely worse and haven't recovered still.  Best thing is to rest and gradually increase your activities and relax before it gets worse.  You can also controlled exercise recommended by University of Buffalo Concussion Clinic if things didn't get better after a while.  I am trying it right now and at least in evening I feel better lately.

Don't go to any Doctor and try to find a Neurologist who knows about Concussion/TBI which of course is hard to find.  

I can go on with all the therapies, meds, tests etc., but don't want to scare you.  Each TBI or Concussion is unique and you are are only 2 weeks from the injury, you are young so the chances are you can be back to normal in few weeks.  

Good luck.
I suffered a concussion on Jan. 3rd and had just a bad headache,a little dizziness and a lump on the back of my head. Then a few days to a week the dizziness got alot worse, i became unsteady on my feet, developed ringing in my ears, nausea and the headache got worse.
I've had an MRI and CT Scan and both were fine. Now I'm having a little problem with remembering names and other little things, plus I've noticed that loud noises and bright lights seem to bother me too.
My Neurologist said that he thinks that I''m now suffering from Post Concussion Syndrome. Could you PLEASE tell me what's the difference between concussion and PCS, and is there anything that I can do to get rid of it or how long it lasts?
As of right now I can't even drive, work, or even go to any stores because of the dizziness and light headedness, I almost need someone with me to make sure I don't fall or walk into things like walls and doors (which have done already many times).