Neurology Community
Had "wandering" numbness that slowly moved all around my body...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Had "wandering" numbness that slowly moved all around my body. Doctors are stumped.

I just had three incidents approximately, each one about 2-3 weeks apart.  Here's how I describe it: One day my left foot goes numb.  Not concerning, but after a few minutes the numbness started moving up my left leg, slowly.  To my calf, then thighs.  As it moved, the parts that were previously numb regained feeling, so by the time my left thigh was numb, my left foot was fine.  The numbness moved slowly up the left side of my body, through my ribs and chest, then to my head, where even my teeth felt numb.  Then it slowly moved down the right side of my body.  After reaching my right foot, it moved back up, and seemed to settle in my chest/abdominal area.  This whole process took 1.5 - 2 hours, so it moved very slowly.  There were no other symptoms associated with it, other than the nervousness I had from what was happening.

The first time it happened I went to the emergency room because I had no idea what was going on.  They found nothing (and explained that stroke symptoms are much more sudden).  I went to a neurologist, got an MRI, and it showed nothing to be concerned about.  The neurologist was stumped.  He said that the symptoms for Multiple Sclerosis are somewhat similar but not the same as what I was experiencing.  He had no idea what it was.  The only think he could think of was that sometimes migraine patients have an "aura" (his words), that as the migraine moves all around the brain, it can affect different parts of the body.  He thought that perhaps I was experiencing those symptoms without the actual pain of the migraine, but he admitted that this was just a guess.

At the time it happened I was under some stress, but nothing huge.  After it happened three times in 2 months, I haven't had it happen since, that was about 2 months ago.  But I remain concerned.  I was not taking any medications at that time.

Has anyone else had experience with symptoms like this?
I'm currently in the hospital for observation for something similar.  Mine started on the left knee, then big right toe, then bottom of right foot, then right calf, then upper arms and back of shoulders, then tongue and throat.  Prior to that I was seeing a neurologist for a plethora of symptoms including bladder incontinence and some bowel issues to start.  My biggest complaint is severe short term memory loss.  I can be talking one minute, then have no clue what we've been talking about or even why I'm there.  I'm 39 years old.  I also have a very hard time staying upright.  I fall or trip constantly or stumble like a drunk person.  I don't drink, smoke or do drugs.  
I've had simple partial seizures where I will cuss people I've never met who did nothing to me and went from being sweet and unconfrontational to starting fights in public and throwing things at strangers.  It's scary!  I've run out of stores crying many times.  Then I started having tonic-clonic seizures that only lasted about 2 weeks at about 2-5 per day.  Suddenly, they stopped.  Now I mainly have muscle jerking in my legs and arms while at rest.  It's similar to small seizures.  I've started losing time.  I recently had an EEG for seizures and have no recollection of them flashing lights at me, but I was told I was awake and responding the entire time but had no seizures.  I've lost as much as 3 hours.  I think it's due to memory loss because I almost always wake up in bed.  There's a lot more, but that's enough.  The ER Dr here thought maybe Guillain-Barre Syndrome, so that's why I'm here for observation.  I was told by my neurologist that she suspects Limbic Encephalitis.  It'll be at least 4 more weeks before I have those results.  Regardless, they plan on sending me to a Mayo Clinic to either treat or find out what I have.  Does any of this sound familiar?
I forgot to mention that my fingertips are numb so I drop everything.