Neurology Community
Hand arm pain and numbness following seizure...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I recently suffered a tonic-clonic seizure as a result of taking Tramadol. Since this event I have been experiencing, especially at night, severe arm/hand burning and tingling (pins and needles). Change of position seems to have little effect on this. Rubbing the hand only seems to make matters worse by increasing the pain. The only thing that seems to improve this situation is to stand and walk around..As you can imagine this is an undesirable position to be in at 4am!
I am a long time chronic pain sufferer (thus the tramadol intake) and consider myself to have a relatively high pain threshold, but this is pain like I've never felt before. During the day it is reduced to tingling in the fingertips, and some mild burning/aching in the hand and arm.
My pc has prescribed neurontin in addition to the Norco I already take for my pre-existing condition, and neither seem to touch this pain. As I am a drummer by profession, you can see where this concerns me. Also, it seems I will never get more than an hour or two of sleep at a time.
Any advice, help you could offer concerning this would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance, and sorry for the lengthy post.
Nick
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello Nick.

Can you please mention what chronic pain are you suffering from, and since when are you taking Tramadol?

Tramadol os known for seizures and tingling as side effects. But the tingling may be due to some other cause also. It could be a neuropathic pain.

Please consult a Neurologist soon. So that you can be fit and fine before your next concert!

All the Best

DrAbhijeetMD
Thank you Doctor Abhijeet..
The Chronic pain I mentioned was due to a deep inner neck infection which landed me in ICCU for 2 weeks with a tracheostomy, and permanently damaged nerves in my neck.
Since the seizure I have not taken Tramadol and this hand pain/numbness started after discontinuing that medication.
I've seen a neurologist, and she's recommending a nerve velocity test, and an MRI or the shoulder area.
The neurontin my family doc prescribed has done little or nothing to abate the pain, and the Norco doesn't touch it either.
Can you tell me what can be done to alleviate this pain? It seems I'll never sleep a full night again!
Thanks again for your help!
Nick
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi Nick.

I get an impression of some nerve injury, which worsens on lying down. While you are getting a shoulder MRI, ask for the neck MRI also. Have you followed up with the surgeon who did the tracheostomy, to find out if there are any residual injuries (or complications) due to the infection, or the tracheostomy (apart from the damaged nerves) ?

Did you have a Herpes infection ?

Regards
Sorry for the delayed reply! Regarding my neck pain, it's been determined that there is some residual injury to nerves in the area causing the neck pain, but in general I've been told it has no relation to this *new* hand pain. I continue with acupuncture, chiropratic and pain killers (Norco) to treat that pain, with no real *solution* in sight! The nerve velocity test found that there is severe rsd in my right hand. I've been put on celebrex, and told to wear an arm splint at night. I've still had no relief from this hand pain keeping me up nights!
Surgery has not been brought up as an offer, but I hesitate to do anything involving going under the knife. I have my last follow up with my neurologist in a week or so to review the MRI and bloodwork results.
Also, to answer your question: I've never had a Herpes infection!
Thanks again for your help and suggestions!
NICK
Hi.

The RSD has to be due to some cause. The name itself suggests so. If it is not due to the neck infection or injury, you have to find out any other cause for the dystrophy.

In any case, the discomfort of RSD does not recede so soon. Please keep me posted when you visit the Neurologist again.

Regards
Doctor my brother is having repetive seizure from about a her after having continuous epilepsy from also about a year . He sometimes feel than that he is going to die or that dooms day is very soon. He is now suffering from a hand numbness mostly at night. Is there any solution to prevent these symptoms ?? Your help would be very greatful, than you.
My sister had an epileptic seizure in her sleep while travelling in a train. Now she experiences sever pain and sort of numbness in her hand. She is epileptic and has been taking meds since ten years. But this sort of thing never happened. Her marriage is in ten days. Can i know the remedy for her hand as soon as possible?  please reply soon