Neurology Community
Hand infection - pain - numbness - swelling

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

8 days ago I had a hang nail in my left thumb. The next morning it was inflamed & very sore. I soaked it in peroxide. The following day a red line stared traveling towards my wrist & my hand/wrist fell asleep & started to swell.  I saw my doctor the next morning who gave me antibiotics for an infection. 7 days of Cephalexin.  Hand was very swollen & asleep to my elbow by then. I am on the 6th day of meds and still feel a lot of pain and icy/hot in the joints (fingers to shoulder), twitching in the thumb, minor swelling (rings don’t fit) & very weak. Carrying items will cause intense pain in the joints for about 5 minutes. Any thoughts?
Avatar n tn
Hi Kendy,
How are you feeling?
The injury in your thumb would have caused injury to nerve as well. Injury to nerve would spread pain all along the distribution of nerve. Swelling is the result of inflammatory reaction to the injury.
I think you should be seeing an orthopaedician to re-evaluate the injury.
You can get investigations done to re-assess the case.
The pain would remain for next 3-4 weeks but you would recover from injury faster if the recovery is planned with help of analgesics and physiotherapy.
You should give rest to the part, do cryotherapy, put cast and elevate the part to reduce the swelling.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.