Neurology Expert Forum
Hand pain. Help!

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hand pain. Help!

Hi, 3 days ago I started getting pain in my index finger on the right hand, it felt as if I had shut it in the door. I have done nothing unusual to cause anything either. The pain increased to my pinky and my outter hand and I am losing strength in my hand as well. Yesterday, I could feel it in my elbow as well. When I make a fist it feels like my hand is swollen, even though it doesn't appear to be. What do I do from here? Anybody know what is wrong or what my next step should be?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

It sounds like you have pain in all digits of your hand with weakness in your fingers, and some elbow pain as well. This is an unusual pattern of pain and weakness to spread to involve all these areas simultaneously over a brief period of time. A neuropathy, or nerve irritation, such as carpal tunnel syndrome, would not involve all 5 digits but rather the first 3, however some sort of neuropathy with some referral of pain to other hand areas is a possibility. Similarly, a pinched nerve (radiculopathy) would not be expected to involve all digits of the hand, but principally 2-3. A problem higher up (closer to the nerve origin), in for example the brachial plexus, could involve more of the arm, such as a disorder called Parsonage-Turner, which causes pain then weakness of a limb. A central cause to your symptoms, such a spinal cord or brain problem, would be a better explanation to the pattern of symptoms you describe.

It is difficult to really be able to provide you with more information based on the above description, but evaluation by your primary doctor/family physician with referral to a neurologist as deemed necessary by him/her is recommended.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.