Neurology Expert Forum
Hands - Tingling

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hands - Tingling

My hands have become very sensitive to any pressure and touch, especially my finger tips.  I have problems carrying my briefcase and chopping food.  A red line or mark is left even with the slightest amount of pressure.  The skin on my hands doesn't feel as resilient as it use to.  It hurts to crumble up a piece of paper or to use a paperclip.  Both leave dents in my hands.  

If my hands are down below my heart they take on a red reticulated look. If I hold them above my head they go back to the normal white color. Sometimes my fingers will tingle and throb when I've been using them alot. Also, sometimes I can feel heat coming off of my hands. If I'm in a very hot room, above 85, my hands will go red and throb.

I had blood test for lupus and ms which were normal. My other blood work is also normal, sed rate, c reactive protein and ANA anti-bodies. All other blood normal. MRI of brain also normal.

The MRI of my cervical spine showed significantly more deterioration than expected of 46 old female.  There is multilevel degenerative disk disese (disease) at C3-4, C4-5, C5-6 and C6-7, with loss of intervertebral disk height and signal.  At C3-4, there is mild to moderate stenosis of the left neural foramen.  At C4-5, C5-6 and C6-7 there is disk bulge. The anterior thecal sac is slightly dented at C4-5 and C6-7.

The MRI of thoracic spine showed a spinal syrinx from T9 to T11, measuring 2mm in diameter.  

Could my spine be the cause of the problem with hands? What treatment will the syrinx require treatment?

Many thanks for taking my question!!!
The complaints in your hands are not related to the thoracic syrinx, and are unlikely to be related to your cervical spine. Testing for a rheumatologic condition called Raynaud's would be reasonable. Also a EMG (muscle/nerve test) would also be indicated. If the EMG is normal, this may represent a small fiber neuropathy. A neuropathy is a dying back of the nerves. There are different nerves in the body, and the smallest ones typically are involved in pain and automatic functions(such as controlling sweating, blood flow regulation, and bowel movement). Small fiber problems require special testing typically only found at larger academic centers. Therefore, I would recommend a second opinion at a large academic neruology program. Good luck.
I have the same symptoms you have, and have had no luck in finding the cause.  My skin also does not seem to have the same resilliance and also get very wrinkeled, like you have been in a bath.  My fingertips seems very red and are extremely sensitive to heat and cold. It has also been suggested I see a rhum. Dr. which I did and he seemed to think my problems were definaltly not within his field, so it leads me back to the beginning, not knowing.
A related discussion, Sensitive hands was started.