Neurology Expert Forum
Hands with involuntary movements

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hands with involuntary movements

Sometimes when i am typing for a while about 10 minutes or so, it started to tremble with all the fingers gets so strained except for the thumb. The finger that strains most is the middle finger. I think the root of the tremors come from my elbow. It just couldn't flex as my left hand. I had no injury to the hands in the past. When I am using my right hands to pick up a glass water, it seems so weird because it looks like i am straining with the elbow just hanging up while i drink the water into the mouth. Plus further more I am very conscious of what people may react when they see my hand were doing that, i am getting more nervous and sometimes i need to stop drinking and hold on for a second. It added up the tremors since people are judging me. However, the anxiety was the addition to the tremors on my right hand. I just need to know why is my right hands get freeze so fast. and the fingers gets hard subsequently makes it strained and cause me to loose control of them. Ironically, it does not happened to my left hands. Luckily I am lefthander and i just have to do more things with my left hand. It just so weird to see my right does not function as my left hands. The involuntary movement that it makes cause me to be embarrassed about it. I don't know it originates from the wrist, or , the elbow or the shoulder. but i feel at the elbow the most.

For example , when i am typing, i would have to place my right elbow so that the hands would have less shakes  but my left elbow seems to be balancing on its own and it does need to be placed on the table. Why i say less shakes if i put my right elbow on the desk is because it would be worst if i don't balance it on the table and shake horribly. That's terrible. I have told a neurologist before but the result was he said because of anxiety. If it is anxiety why it does not have the same conditions with the other hands. My left hand does not tremble if i am typing, holding a camera, or drinking water.
Explain, pls.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. It is difficult to determine what you are describing you’re your hand (i.e,. tremor vs abnormal posture).However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

As you have already been told, tremors or abnormal movements can reflect emotional/psychiatric problems related to stress (what is called somatization disorder). The latter is a true medical condition whereby instead of a patient experiencing depression or anxiety, they experience physical symptoms, and once the stress is addressed, the symptoms resolve.

There is a condition called writer’s cramp that I would mention partly because you mention that your finger strains while typing. This disorder can involve tremulousness, esp with writing. It is a form of dystonia which is a slow (or quick) movement in which the extremity (in your case hand) assumes a twisting, repetitive, abnormal posture. You may be able to physically resist it; however, if left alone, it will assume the posture. It may be “triggered” with activity.  

If these symptoms sound like you, I recommend that you be evaluated by a movements disorder neurologist.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
sounds like it ...i will relate to my neurologist...