Hard to open left eye
For the last couple of months when I awaken at night I often have difficulty opening my left eye.  When I push on the eyelid it opens and then is OK after that.  Sometimes the eye wanders for 1-2 seconds and then settles down.  My right eye is fine.  Any idea what is causing this?
There are serious diseases that can cause these symptoms, including diabetic neuropathy and other serious disorders however the most likely possibility is B-12 deficiency. You need a professional work-up.
I might add, you should have this evaluated immediately, and get an MRI You have a combination of problems, the wandering eye due to a problem with the cranial nerves, and ever so often this is a result of an aneurysm. This is not likely, however this is a situation where you really need a professional look-see by an M.D. ASAP.
I have the same thing! Almost every morning, when I wake up, my right eye wont open on its own. It can last between 1- 5 mins.There  doenst seem to be anything noticeable wrong but I do have IIH/PTC, I told my neuro and she just nodded her head. I m so glad you posted for the replies you have recieved.A trip to my GP is next I think! Best of luck with yours.Cath278
The eyelids and tissues around the eye may become inflamed as a result of allergy, infection, or other inflammation. Disorders can involve the eyelids (as in a chalazion, stye, or blepharitis), tear ducts (as in dacryocystitis), or sinuses. Allergies or infections may also lead to abnormal secretions from the eyes, which may harden (crusting) and cause difficulty in opening the eyes when waking. An eye examination, including a slit lamp examination, is usually required. If infection is suspected, a culture (the process of growing a sample of the eye cells in a laboratory) may be needed. Doctors sometimes need to determine whether the sinuses are infected, which may require imaging studies such as a computed tomography (CT) scan. In the absence of infection, there could be a nerve or muscle problem leading to difficulty in opening the eye. Please consult an opthalmologist and neurologist for examination, diagnosis and management. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!  

I would not recommend a CT scan, but instead opt for an MRI. The dye used in a CT scan has more side effects and, of course, an MRI does not require x-ray radiation. We have to differentiate between an eye that doesn't open because of crusting and an eye that has no crusting, but hesitates to open. Eye opening involves the 3rd cranial nerve. Eyeball wandering involves other cranial nerves. You have a combination of problems. I don't think they are very serious. You require a specialist to check movement of the eye in various directions.  Usually these problems resolve on their own without specific treatment (assuming no infection).  If you have no crusting, then you probably would benefit from an MRI.
This is from Sue6544--I posted the original question 10-1-09.  I talked to my doctor, who said my  symptoms are probably due to a dry eye.  She recommended using eye drops prior to bedtime, and that has solved the problem.
Hi Sue.glad to hear things are better for you.I am going to give this a try.Sometimes it really is a simple thing....Thanks cath278
  I have had this pain for a long time but it seem to be happing more often . My eyes when I wake up in the morning hard to open them when I wake up I have to use my fingers to apply pressure to open them, but when I open them their so much pain like when someone pokes you in the eye. I having been to my I Doctor he runs test but does not find angthing. I think it could be something to do with my allergies.