Neurology Community
Harrington rod removal

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Harrington rod removal

I was hoping someone could give me advice on my situation.  I am 26, and I had 2 Harrington rods placed 14 years ago.  I now have seromas on both sides of my spine, and the neurosurgeon thinks the instrumentation may be causing the cysts.  He has recommended that the rods come out and says that recovery b4 returning to work should be apx. 2 weeks.

Has anyone had rods removed before who could share their experience post- removal?  ex- hospital stay, pain, recovery time.  Has anyone else developed serum filled cysts many years after Harrington rod placement?

Thank you to anyone who can help.

This discussion is related to Spinal pain 30 years after Harrington rod surgery for scoliosis and MRI results.
Hi...I saw other posts regarding the harrinton rods...one was in the degenerative diseases forum, the other in back and neck forum.

I see u also posted in the expert forum....u should get some answers.

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
I have rods L-4 L-5 14yrs and also need info on removal. Pain has stopped me in my tracks and want releif.
my quality of life and heath good.
Need answers also
have you any info about "screw" removal from harrington rod? lots of pain, deteriorating quality of life; advised to have screw removed. Outcome?
Just had my Harrington rods removed two weeks ago and feeling good.  Stayed only 3 days in the Hospital, pain was far less then when they were inserted 6 years ago (scale about a 7 a couple of days then went down to a 4), and I was ready to go back to work in 2 weeks but still waiting on my doctor to give my employer my medical release to work.

Hope this helps if you have any further ?'s let me know.
I just read that you had your rods removed.  I was wondering what lead you to have them removed.  My daughter is 17 and had rods put in 2 1/2 yrs ago.   A couple months ago she started experiencing alot of back pain.  Have been back to the surgeon and to pain mgmt.   Her lower back has arthritis and is getting damage from all the stress being put on it.  There was discussion of possibly removing the rods or extending the rods.  Nobody seems to know what is the best way to solve the pain.