Neurology Expert Forum
Having constant drunk feeling for last year(but no dizziness)

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have constant 24/7 feeling of being intoxicated, having slurry, fuzzy, hazy vision. As if I'm watching world through the glass. I feel less aware of everything around me, and have feeling of lightheadedness as if I will loose consciousness. I feel spaced out all the time and foggy as if having cotton in my head. I can't clear my head.

I have very hard time concentrating on anything. I'm looking at words or anything around me and just don't comprehend anything quickly. The worst is when there is lots of stimuli (supermarkets, traffic, people) I feel overloaded and can't focus. I also have hard time following and comprehending speech. Just like when under influence of alcohol.

My memory is very hazy, everything I do I hardly remember it next day. It's just the same as if I'd like to remember what I did when I was drunk. I have no problems remembering things before the day this happened to me but after that, all I try to remember is blank.

My responses are heavily slowed down. If I try playing cards, watching action movies or playing video games, I have very hard time following what is happening. Exactly the same when being drunk.

My symptoms started episodically, almost 2 years ago in summer after first year of college.I was very anxious type of guy all my life (but not anymore now!) They lasted from hours to even days and they then disappeared. They were evoked when having to concentrate in college, being nervous or when exercising. They set in permanently when one day I got heavily drunk, lost consciousness, badly fell on ground and was in comatosed state for 10 hours(I wasn’t used to drink, I never drank) and have been lasting for a year now. My CT, EEG, EKG, MRI came back normal. I have tried with numerous drugs like antipsychotics, antidepressants and tranquilizers of no avail.

Does this seem neurological or psychiatric nature to you or something else? I’d be really glad if anyone could give me any advices.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Your symptoms sound more psychiatric than neurological especially with the history of normal neurological testing and symptoms worsening of symptoms with stress/anxiety and perhaps depression. These are psychological and physiological conditions with a multitude of symptoms. They can include heart palpitations, muscle tension, fatigue, nausea, chest pain, shortness of breath, headaches, cognitive difficulty, and GI symptoms such as diarrhea to name a few.

I would recommend that you follow up with a psychiatrist to further diagnose and perhaps treat.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.