Neurology Community
Head Pressure, Dizziness, Blurred Vision, MRI

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi, I am a 20 year old female.

Last year, around August/September I began to get horrible symptoms of eye pain - in that it hurt just to focus on things, I spent days just lieing with my eyes closed. I got various headaches, migranes (migraines) and even sometimes felt dizzy. I also got a few nosebleeds, not too frequent, but when they came they were awful, lasted a while and would not stop with just one or two clots. My doctor suggested sinus problems, ear problems, and throat problems and I had various medicines which didn't do anything. Eventually, in January I had an MRI scan which came back clear. I had 2 eye exams, one in November and one in February I think, which were clear also. She checked my BP whenever I went to see her but that was always in a safe field. She also sent me to an ENT specailist at the hospital. He kept getting me to lie down and sit up but said my balance seemed fine. I tried to tell him the dizziness came and went and wasn't always there.

Oddly, in February the symptoms seemed to fade slightly. For almost 4 months I felt like it was finally over. However, recently they have returned. The eye pain is not like it was, however I do get blurred vision. But this is mostly on a morning or a night, so I don't know if It's just tiredness and strain and I'm being paranoid. The feelings I get in my head are like someone is dragging me down, backwards. Ever since coming back, they occur distinctly on the right side, at the back. 2 weeks ago I got so dizzy I couldn't even turn over in bed. It was horrible and lasted about 2-3 days, gradually dulling away.

I also got chest pains and of course got terrified about my heart, but my doctor diagnosed it as asophocitus or something, and gave me Omeprazole.

I have been wondering if this is anxiety, since I know that anxiety can cause all sorts and I do worry constantly about health, like when I find a mole I constantly watch it worrying it might indicate something horrible. My whole fmily call me a hypocondriac, but I can't seem to help it. The fact it faded for several months makes me wonder why, and could it be anxiety? She gave me ome propranolol 10mg, which seems to help but not for very long, it mostly just let's me fall asleep.

She also said not to strain my eyes too much, and I know I use the computer too much for studying and writing books, like I'm trying to do. So I've been trying to break. I also find it hard to sleep 'normal' hours, and frequently stay up till 3am, but I keep trying to remedy it.

I have also heard of something called pseudo-tumor cerebri, promenant in females of my age. But I don't know if the eye exams and MRI would have shown it up and I don't know how to ask my doctor about it without her looking at me like I'm being paranoid.

Just a little more about me, I was diagonized with septo-optic displasia (can't spell, sorry) when I was about 4-6. I fave nystagmus, and photosensitivity. I'm blind completely in my left eye and have so-so vision in my right. I don't know any diffierent so it doesn't bother me, but it makes me very concerned about not losing anymore vision. When I turned 18 my doctor also said I have an underactive thyroid and I have been taking Levothyroxine since. However they are still trying to work out the dosage.

If anyone has the same symptoms or could help me, it would mean the world. Even as I sit here I have a pressure in my head, it feels heavey and like I should fall to the right.
Note: I was told the septo-optic displasia was not degenerative and the eye tests I had showed no degeneration either...
Also, when I was 10/11, I fell and hit my head pretty hard on concrete. But nothing came of it and being a kid I just got on with it. If it was anything to do with that that would have shown up, or would it not?

Sorry to keep posting. I'll shush now.
Hi, Thank you for your question. If your all the investigation reports came back normal, then most likely possibility in your case could be a panic or anxiety disorder that you have faced during last event and currently experiencing. Cause of such panic disorder mostly remain unknown but in this disorder you may feel symptoms like shortness of breath, feeling of choking, pain in the chest, nausea, stomach ache, feeling dizzy, tingling or numbness, chills or  flashes, bounding heartbeat or fast heart rate, sweating, shaking etc. even without any underlying disorder. This disorder needs to be thoroughly assessed by a psychiatrist first since this can occur repeatedly and without warning.  Treatments may include psychological and drug treatments, and depend upon extent of severity of symptoms. Most commonly psychological treatment tried is counseling, relaxation techniques and sometimes cognitive behavior therapy. ************** depends upon treating the underlying depressive illness through anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medicines.  In addition, try to rest in a dark & quiet room, meditate, have a balanced diet, regularly exercise and avoid taking unnecessary non prescription drugs to avoid recurrence of symptoms. Hope this helps!!

I have head pressure and dizziness, too.  My neurologist thinks it's from thyroid issues.  Hopefully, when they can get your thyroid meds right, you'll feel better!  Since your MRI came back clear, I wouldn't worry...
Thank you for your help and support. I'm deffinetly trying to get my sleeping problems put right and get onto a more healthy way of living, with a more natural diet and things. :3

I hope they sort your thyroid issues out too, ElatedMom. How do they think it might be linked? Because I never really investigated that side of things...
The Dizzyness is really getting alot worse. I was at a party last night, not drinking, though due to Esophicitus and I couldn't even sit still without feeling dizzy. A few weeks ago at my boyfriends I got so dizzy I couldn't even feel still in bed.

It's getting to an unbareable point and no one will help me or tell me anything that could possibly be causing it or offer relief. Please, help!
Hi.I have IIH or Pseudo Tumor Cerebri as it is also known. You queried if you could have it? Well, there are several main symptoms you should have. Really bad headache, blurry vision, seeing black spots in your line of vision, dizziness, nausea,Papillodema(swelling of the optic nerve) a  feeling of fullness, pressure in your head.These are the main ones. To diagnoses, the would do a number of tests first ,the final one being a lumber pucture.You would tell your dr about your symptoms, they would then refer you to a neurologist and a Ophthalmologist.
I hope you find out what is going on soon. Cath278