Neurology Community
Head noises, neuro problem? HELP!

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Head noises, neuro problem? HELP!

Someone please tell me whats wrong with me. My main symptoms are tinnitus, ears feel full, slight hearing loss, EXTREME vertigo-more of a spaced out foggy feeling (every day, insomnia and almost like "brain zaps". The head noises are more like "electrical" sometimes versus the tinnitus when my ears actually ring. I have also had a lot of muscle spasms (in my legs-thumping if you will), not painful at all. I am CHRONICALLY FATIGUED about 4 days a week and the other 3 I am o.k.. The meds I take are LUNESTA. I was having these symptoms before the LUNESTA (been on it for about 6 months). I dont know if this is a neurological problem or just stress. I do work 10 hour days-5 days a week. I am starting to get depressed because I feel like s--- EVERY DAY!! I have had an MRI (6 months ago). They found a small cyst on my sinus cavity. I also had testing done on my heart and I have MINOR Mitral valve regurgitation. I work out 4-5 times per week but they are not very productive anymore. I am a 36 year old female. Can someone tell me whats wrong?
Is it true vertigo (room looks like it is spinning) or dizziness (momentary feelings of unsteadiness)?  Have you ever actually fallen?
HI :So sorry your not well. I have MVP too, and since i was 29, i take atenonol 75 mg daily for yrs for awful heart palps. To top it off i started getting burningin both legs feet, and then in summer this strange head pressure , jaw weakness, stroke like (im 41) and eye pressure and pain one eye. I at tifst thought it was  a brain tumor but recently ruled out. I have started wondering about my MVP and maybe all my symptoms being vascular. What does your cardio say ?? i also had the ear feeling, too and maxilary sinus on MRI . Its very worrisome, and i had no idea it would be months w all these tests , to see whats wrong. Evoked potentials etc etc.. I will saya  prayer for you. Kit
You've described the classic sx complex of Meniere's Disease (vertigo, tinnitus, fluccuating hearing loss, sense of fullness in the ears, variable dizziness).  Though good ENT's should know about vertigo and Meniere's (which BTW, can cause very profound fatigue) many miss the diagnosis.  Even if it isn't Meniere's you should see a neuro-otologist.  The best way to find one is to go to the Vestibular Disorders Association (VEDA) website and they have a list of specialists around the US.  If that is unhelpful, try calling the nearest large medical centers to see if they have a vestibular clinic.  Good luck, Quix
Thank you ALL for your input. I do have tinnitus BUT this is different. These noises are coming from my head. I do get headaches sometimes but my VERTIGO and fogginess are EVERY DAY. I went to my Dr. yesterday and I will be going to an ENT on Tues. She sd. the cyst was on my maxillary (?) bone and was nothing to worry about. Whatever. I do get CONSTANT thumping in my legs. It feels like someone is under my skin and flicking my legs. THey dont hurt at all BUT are quite annoying. This is so depressing. Could this be a vascular or nerve problem? If it is Menieres, is there a cure? Thanks again
Hi-

I'm going through smething very similar to what you describe. First diagnosis was Meniere's Disease, then Tolosa-Hunt Syndrome. Right now it's 'we don't know' and I'm going to UCI Medical to see a Neuro Opthamologist. Maybe that's what you need. We know I have nerve damage to the trigemal nerve. My ears ring, I see smoke or fog, severe headaches and eye pain. My left leg twitches, but that's related to nerve damage from an unrelated incident. Vicodin is the only thing hat stops my leg from wandering off by itsef. Look up Tolosa-Hunt Syndrome and see if it fits. It's kind of rare, and is treatable if not curable. That could be your head noises and such. Have them chec for nerve damage causing the wandering legs. Mine drove me crazy. Not just the twitching, but the bizarre feeling that came with it. Check it out, you might have a couple of things going on. Don't take the word of just one Dr., either. Keep tryig until they figure it out. Good luck!
what is btw?
no, i have not collapsed. I just wish I knew what was wrong. I am thankful for your input. I am also going to try supplements (calcium, magnesium, b-complex). they all play a role in proper nerve function and circulation. I tried a calcium supplement before and the muscle spasms (or whatever they are) did get better and occurred less frequently. The vertigo and head noises are a huge concern to me and I am scared to death. Thanks again
May not be of much help, but I relate totally to your 'electrical' noise/feeling in the head, alongwith spaced out feeling.... a feeling of being in another sphere as I try to cope with that daily.   Unfortunately, I was back in hospital 3 weeks ago after a severe collapse. My central nervous system just shuts down and goes into paralysis. Invariably it takes many weeks to recover again.   Do you collapse at all?   I have been for over 18 months now.    After several MRI scans MS has more or less been excluded, however small vessel ischemia is more probable.  I have had a number of TIA's (transient ischemic attacks) or mini strokes.  Problem is, ultimately they don't know.  My diet is an extremely healthy one and I refuse to take medication as personally, my belief is foreign drugs can do more harm than good in many cases.   Dare I say it?   Stress may account for a multitude of illnesses, including my own.   Learning how to manage it is my own answer.  I'm convinced my last major episode was due to several unexpected very stressful situation.   Moving house and inlaws arriving one day after!   Anyway, all the best.   Keep searching
BTW-by the way,
i am so thankful to read these comments eventhough  no one has mention any relief  ,it is a  relief to know that i am not just imaging these noises that are going on in my head and ears they are so real  sometimes i think someone could feel my head vibrating .i have a constant headace .it seems like sinuses and miagrain ,pain medication helps the pain but the noises never stop.it has been 5 months now.
it started after i passed out 5 times in one week  brain scans, mri ,cat scans, ekg, electrocaridagram,gluecose test showed nothing ear,nose, and throat Dr. said 'im losing my hearing after a hearing test.i am desprate for this to stop .help! help,! help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am replying only about the strange electrical,zap, jolt noise coming from my head. It is very loud, and very alarming as it sounds like you're about to get run over by the matrix, and the sound only lasts a fraction of a second. I have gotten it less than half a dozen times, I am healthy, 27 years old, male, smoker, responsible drug user, and generally abstain from pharmaceuticals. I thought it might be very small stroke, but nobody has said anything conclusive. Most think I'm mad.
thanks
Skittles, WunderWut-
I've got the same issue, wut Wunderwut describes better; 'run over by the matrix.'  Seems to memory I'd get snaps like a lightbulb going out.  For certain I've gotten a more of a longer loud grinding, but that was certainly electrical interference in nature.  There is also a rubber band stretching and breaking noise.  I get them once a month or so, and only while lying in bed.
I've got tinnitus too, but I think it's sorta minor and certainly nowhere near as loud as these noises.  Tinnitus sounds like it's coming from the end of the ear canal, and these sound like they come from the center of the head.  (This is fully an assumption, but learned; pretty sure that perceived locations of both noises is purely mental, not actual)
Med history is long time pot abuser (but not for 12 years), ten years of Seroquel (but clean for four months and all the time these noises have been going on) and 27 years of nicotine use (though also not for the time these have been going on).  I've got (is it bursitis?); while sleeping my legs jerk and I grind my teeth, and minor muscle twitching while awake.
I can see it being related to any of these.  Seroquel withdrawal (my gosh the symptoms were incredibly intense!) or nicotine withdrawal (nicotine is a psychotropic substance effecting mood and thought for certain, look up it's medically documented connection to BiPolar and Schizophrenia).  I wouldn't be too surprised if it is related to smoking pot heavily for 15 years; my waking twitches began only when I was high.  Haven't smoked in 12 years though, and these just started a few months ago.
I don't really expect to find the answer to a cure.  I'm glad I'm not the only one though, and I'm greatly calmed by reading posts by sufferers who remain logical and coherent.
Be well y'all!