NEUROLOGY
FORUM
Head pain - need diagnosis
by bspad, Jun 21, 2004
Suddenly in Sept. 2000, on the left side of my head, I felt a pain that bounced around to different areas.  The bouncing lasted one day, but the pain localized to a spot about 2 inches above the back part of the ear. The next day, I had transient, very excruciating jabs of pain shooting from the area above the ear forward to the hairline (never hit the face).  These lasted for about 3-5 seconds each and occurred about 5 times total. I never had those jabs again.  The left cheek was slightly numb for about 1 week.  The pain has been with me constantly, every minute I am awake.  I had no head trauma or illness prior to this.  On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst, the pain is mainly in the range of  4-7.  

In October 2000, an MRI with and without dye and a CT without dye were negative; neuro exams were normal.  During the 1st 2 yrs., I was given muscle relaxants, Tegretol, Effexor XR (came off both in a week because of reactions), 3 days of Prednisone.  Sed rate normal.  Recently given Indocin. Nothing helps,including OTC medication.  

The pain is a strong ache
Answer:
by CCF-Neuro-M.D.-CS, Jun 27, 2004
This is not a presentation for an aneurysm, and the normal sed rate excludes temporal arteritis. I would recommend having this re-evaluated, but at a center which specializes in headaches. We have a wonderful center at the Cleveland Clinic if you are in the area. A repear MRI may be performed depending on what the physician finds. Good luck.
Member Comments (18)
by Bright Feather, Jun 22, 2004
Hi.
I have posted elsewhere about this. Since the end of March I and my GP have been searching for answers to similar pain in my head, and I finally went to my Neurologist, ( I also have MS and don't like to bother him with everything I get),and he dx'd me with Occipital Neuralgia by pressing on the two small bumps on the back of my head, which sent me through the roof.
I am not trying to dx you, I am just asking if you have been to a neuro or had that suggestion made to you. Hope that helps.
None of the medications helped me either, or I had reactions to the ones that slightly helped, but when my neuro shout steroids into the Occipital nerves a few weeks ago, I got three days of blissful relief, the first since the end of March! Good luck to you. Bright Feather
by Robbo99, Jun 23, 2004
Hi, I'm a male 28yrs old. Last November I was sat at work reading paper. Had a pop above my left ear. Both arms went numb. Has brain scan ok, lumbar punture ok. 6 months later lots better. Last few days though been getting shooting pains on right hand side of top of head every 30mins. Been taking Flixonase for sinus problems lately. stopping today.
by Robbo99, Jun 23, 2004
Also, my little finger and the next finger in left hand goes numb now and then. Was diagnosed with viral menengism in November, anti-depressants and votarol for the headaches not that good. Accupunture no good, bowen therepy helped a lot though. My temple pains are gone but the stabbing at the top of head today is really annoying me. Some are stronger pains than others but in the same place.
by bspad, Jun 28, 2004
Thank you very much for your response and comments.
by pandora9048, Jun 28, 2004
  Have u ever been checked for tempormandibular joint disorder (TMJ)?  TMJ is the joint connecting your jaws to ur skull and can cause head pains.
Pan
by bspad, Jun 28, 2004
Hi,  Good thought. Yes I was checked by my dentist who said I don't have TMJ.  Thanks for the comment.
bspad
by strat400, Jun 30, 2004
Hi. I also have stabbing head pains on the top left 2 inches above the ear. I've had these in the past in the exact same location (about 5 to 6 years ago) and at the time was diagnosed as having scalp tension? The pain varies from intense to very intense, and I am debilitated momentarily until it stops, which thankfully is usually only a few seconds at a time recurring every 2 or 3 seconds and lasting from 10 seconds to 60 seconds. I also have recently developed severe tinnitus that modulates in intensity over 5 to 6 day cycles. I had an MRI with dye a few months ago that came up normal. The main reason I'm posting is because my pinky and ring finger on my left hand have also gone numb. The stabbing headaches have been especially bad today lasting longer than they ever have, hence the reason I'm seeking out this board. Robbo99 I know what you mean about the stabbing being annoying, if not frightening (when will it stop). Good luck to you all.
by marq011, Jul 10, 2004
In the past 4 months I have also experienced left sided head pain.  Near top/rear.  Burning sensations and periodic stabbing pain.  I also have some neck stiffness/pain and bone "cracking".  C-spine X-Ray and MRI showed a narrowed neural foramen.  Basically I have been diagnosed with a pinched nerve and cervical joint problems.  Orthopedic and pain management specialists say pinched nerves in neck can cause head pain as well.  Have you seen an orthopedic specialist?  Do you experience any neck discomfort?  If so it may be related to neck issues.  I am now debating on a cervical injection (nerve block) to diagnose and potentially stop pain.