Neurology Expert Forum
Head pressure Headache Osteoma

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Head pressure Headache Osteoma

I'm a 30 year old male and for the past 5 years I've experienced these symptoms, but it rapidly became far worse 2 years ago. I have a sensation of dull, diffuse pressure deep in my forehead, nose bridge, and somewhat the top of my head. My head feels very heavy. I do not feel mentally sharp, the eye-to-mind connection seems "off".  I feel tension in my forehead (hard to raise eyebrows) and eyes (left and right movement). These symptoms are absolutely constant and relatively unchanging in severity. It is severe enough to have a dramatic impact on my quality of life. Previous to this, I have had no reason to see a doctor in all my life save routine checkups.

Also, I must tell you that there are times that when I lay down I feel pressure build behind my nose and eyes, and the room begins to spin violently as in vertigo and is aggravated by voluntary eye movements. This stop when I sit back up. It continues as long as I am laying even perfectly still for hours. Sometimes this vertigo is in remission for months but the HEAD PRESSURE always remains.

Further, I must tell you that most recently I have begun having a peculiar painless yet very intense throbbing in my head upon standing, and the same pressure I always feel greatly intensifies, spreads deep through my head into my inner ear regions and I experience hearing loss bilaterally as if under water. Interestingly, this follows the same pattern as "syncope" so it occurs upon standing but resolves in short order.

Very extensive Neuro and Eye exam, all the Imaging you can think of (except no LP) was normal except for 3.5 x 2.5 cm benign osseous tumor (left supraorbital). Vision not affected. Mild brain compression. Some bone erosion noted. Abuts frontal sinus. No papaledema. Surgeon declined to operate but expressed no firm opinion on symptom cause. What is your feeling? Are symtoms (symptoms) from tumor, or high CSF pressure, something different alltogether? Is LP recommended? Contraindicated?  Other thoughts?
I thought I'd add the following:

Frequently I wake up with migraine-like headache with photophobia...this responds to ibuprofin. But the underlying "pressure" responds to nothing.  I have been on 8 different precriptions including Elavil and Topamax.  Nothing works not even Hydrocodone or Ultram.

I had an ENT consult and was diagnosed with a deviated septum and unusually red nasal lining, and swolen turbinates. But on imagine my sinuses have always been clear.  He offered me surgery to fix this and my constantly blocked nose feeling, but doesn't know if it will help the head pain.

I had a normal dilated eye exam for papaledema

I had an MRI, CT, MRA, MRV of the brain. MRI of C and T spine.  EEG as well.
Interesting, I have had the same symptoms as you.  Why wouldn't your neuro give you a spinal tap?
i m having same symptoms for 3 years now, i had MRI, MRA, CT SCAN before and after surgery by ENT doc, have been on a different prescriptions, topamax, skelexin, ,,. nothing works. advice thanks
It seems like a conspiracy doesn't it?    What kind of surgery did you have by the ENT?
i had sinus endoscopy, but he said everything lookes clear. and i still have head pressure and blocked nose when lying down. i never get enough sleep.
can you tel us more about your case and a spinal tap result, willing to my doc next week about Lp. thx
I wonder if the doctors are going to get to these older questions, I notice they're already answering ones posted only a few days ago.
I see what you mean about the newer questions being answered first.  That's a good question, I've been waiting 6 weeks...doesn't seem fair...but it's a free service, so I cannot complain.
KimSb, are you there?  I can't find your thread for some reason.
Doc, oh where oh where are you?  My symptoms are especially bad lately
CCF MD off on golf outing in Boca Raton, FL :) Can't complain, given this is gratus.

They closed my thread but yes, status quo in the fog & pressure dept. Tried chiro & PT but no relief. Seeing pain MD who wants to try RFL after facet joint blocks. Wish there was an alternattive.

What about U? Have you seen a neurosurg about the osteoma for 2nd opinion? When it comes to this opaque head stuff, the more MD opinions, the merrier.
They must limit the replies in a thread to 21?
What do U think of Fong's answer to ur question?
Hi I also have your exact symptoms. On CT Dr noticed 1.2cm frontal sinus osteoma. The Dr said this is not causing my chronic headache because it is not blocking Anything.  did you ever get any Answers? My dr Changed my beta blocker and said it would help it hasn't . He thinks it is a vascular headache but nothing helps . I get some relief from a bag of frozen peas on my head. Please let me know if you found any answers. Thank you Karen