Neurology Expert Forum
Head trauma, bad taste and eye sight

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Head trauma, bad taste and eye sight

I had a traumatic brain injury 8 weeks ago. I was found unconscous, in decorticate posturing,  after a fall from a horse, even with a helmet on. I was told they could not wake me, even with the smelly stuff until just before my arrival at the hospital so I am guessing I was knocked out for at the very least 20=30 minutes. The neurologist who looked me over labeled it a 3rd degree concussion...I was told by him that I had damaged my temporal lobe along with my 4th and 6th cranial nerves. I lost remembrance of 12 days...two days before and the 10 days after.. My balance and eye sight has improved some but my left eye pupil is still a bit larger than the right and its vision still doesn't line up with the right so I have to position my head down and to the side to focus or I'll just close the left eye, if I want to read or see something that's too close to allow me to bend down enough (aim it down) to focus. I don't enjoy food anymore because there's a metallic taste I experience no matter what I eat. Even chocolate has it and really, my own spit has it.I have a tingling on my tongue continuously also.  My speech has suffered because the words don't come well...I used to sing at church but even my voice isnt what it used to be.  
I don't have insurance so I can't afford to go back to a DR. (I'm owing over 24K now, lol) I still do stupid stuff or totally forget I did, or I've got to do something... I paid a bill by sending them a totally blank check once... I can go into the bathroom, wash my face, brush my teeth, put deodorant on and walk to another room and then forget I did it...feed the horses come inside and do a load of laundry and forget I fed them. I had to learn how to use my phone and computer all over again...still learning. . I'm 48. If anyone has dealt with anything like this I would really appreciate the outcome and anything you may have done to help.   Big Thanks

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There are multiple grading scales for concussion. The American Academy of Neurology scale is graded on a scale of 1 to 3, where grade 3 has any loss of consciousness. Grade 2 is with any symptoms lasting more than 15 minutes. If there is any loss of consciousness or alteration in mentation or neurological deficit, labeling the injury as traumatic brain injury would also be appropriate.  

Post-concussive symptoms include headache, dizziness, memory challenges, difficulties with concentration, fatigue, depression, anxiety, and increased or decrease in sleep.  Additionally, seizures can develop after traumatic brain injury.

Rehabilitation after damage to the brain can take several months to years. The recovery may be full in some patients but in many others it will be incomplete.

Are you involved in rehabilitation (physical, occupational, and speech/language)? If not, you should look into this.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.