Neurology Community
Head trauma after car accident

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Head trauma after car accident

I am a 27 year old female. I had a car accident at the end of 2005 and have 2 weeks of amnesia. I do not remember being in hospital so I don't know what doctors told me. I recently had a checkup with a doctor who told me the results of my CT Scan after my accident showed extra-axial spaces frontally. I am seeing a neurologist in 10 days time, but desperately want to know what this means? What are the symptoms and what causes it? I was told that it could not be from my car accident? Is this something that I can fix? How does it effect me?

Hi, Thank you for your question. It reflects that you may have cerebral atrophy or injury has created some space in brain. Usually, such symptoms may result due to post-concussion syndrome and may last for weeks or months after the injury that caused from the injury of a fall, vehicle accident, or sports injury.  For treatment approach, first it is essential to get (MRI) done to detect the brain or spinal abnormalities after that injury. Treatment commonly may be suggested for symptoms such as pain-killers, some antidepressants, physical therapy and regular exercises. If you suffer continuous symptoms, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the possibilities here and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Further referral to a psychologist may be also helpful in order to treat usual anxiety or depression after such injuries (sometimes one may have) that may be one of the aggravating factors for persistent symptoms. Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take Care & Regards!!!

Thank you so much for your response, I feel so much better knowing what it could be. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to me!