Neurology Expert Forum
Head trauma as a kid still an issue?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Head trauma as a kid still an issue?

When I was 5 years old I fell on my bike going down a hill with no helmet. I was knocked out and had scapes all over my face. I also had to have some teeth removed. I am now 35 and have my whole life dealt with emotional and physical issues. One of my biggest issues is that everytime I lay down to go to sleep, my head will not shut off. I feel like I have a ping pong like affect with my thoughts in my head . They are not clear, they go all over the place and I cannot silence it. I want to see someone to help me with this and I am unsure where to go. I had an MRI of the brain last year to look at pituitary and 2 years before a catscan done of my brain. Neither showed anything wrong with the structure. Should I see a Neurologist, therapist, or just deal with it? I did very poorly growing up and feel like a dysfunctional adult. Please let me know what you think.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

The inability to control your thoughts may be a symptom of a mood disorder. Racing thoughts can mean different things to different people. Some may have recurrent thoughts, some may have quickly changing thoughts which makes concentration difficult, etc. The racing thoughts are episodic. Other symptoms may be poor judgment, rapid speech, irritability, inability to concentrate, extreme optimism, depression, and others. If these are present, bipolar disorder should be considered. However, if the thoughts are repeated constantly and wont’ stop, a condition called obsessive-compulsive disorder should be considered.  

I suggest that you follow up with your primary care physician to ensure that there is not another medical condition that should be evaluated first. If not, then following up with a psychiatrist may be a good idea.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.