Neurology Community
Headache, cognitive trouble

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Headache, cognitive trouble

Hello, I have had a headache that started 11/27, at which time I was 33 weeks pregnant.  After 2-3 days without relief, I was admitted to the hospital, where I stayed until the birth of my baby at 35 weeks.  The headache was only marginally relieved by medication and I am only truly comfortable if I am lying flat.  The headache eased off for about 2-3 days post-partum then came back, but worse than before.  (On the pain scale in the hospital it would go from 7-9) at home, it can be a 9-11!!  It is excruciating when I sit up or get up first thing, basically upon rising from a sitting/lying position.  Again, laying down it is there, but definitely tolerable.  In conjunction with the headache the pain goes back into my neck and right arm.  The right arm pain has gone, but the neck and head pain exist - - almost now as if my brains are too big for my skull and it feels like my head is going to explode (all the way around, not localized to front/back/size).  I am breastfeeding and allergic to all "opiate" drugs, so that lets out a majority of pain relieving meds.  The headache has been so bad that a c-section didn't really hurt!!!!  I was seen by 4 neurologists in the hospital, along with MRI (no dye), MRA, MRV, brain scan, EEG, and later, CT Scan, all turned out negative for tumors, or other horrible things.  But I am still having trouble - ever since 11/27, when the headache started, putting together sentences at times and comprehending what to say, as with the short-term memory loss.   I just turned 37, someone mentioned that this could have been a TIA, I am not sure.  All I know is that I was fine one day and not the next.  My blood pressure (low to normal throughout my entire life and pregnancy) shot through the roof and has remained high (as in up to 150/115 sometimes!) since - doctors ruled out any pregnancy related issues, bloodwork is normal.  I am now on Klonopin .25 2 x day, low dose to ease my anxiety about what happened, because it's truly scary, and Toprol and Norvasc for my blood pressure.  What really bothers me besides the headache is the loss of cognitive abilities - I have to go back to work soon and don't want to forget how to do my job and forgetting how to put sentences together.  I am fairly intelligent and now am beginning to sound like an Alzheimers' patient!!!!!  And, no one can figure what's going on.  I've seen the OB/Gyn, obviously, neurologists, and cardiologist.  I am not overweight or ever otherwise sick in any form.  But it took me forever to write this email so that I could ensure it was coherent.  I am so hopeful that someone will see this and be able to offer advice as to (a) what happened to me! and (b) how can I PLEASE get better.  It is so frustrating to feel bad all the time when I am normally the happiest person on the planet, and especially now with a 5-week old and a husband who perhaps thinks I could have lost my mind somewhere.  I have no other symptoms and was fine until the headache just hit me like a truck back on 11/27.  

Thank you!