Neurology Expert Forum
Headache behind the right eye

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Headache behind the right eye

Hello Doctor,

I have been suffering from this disease for the past 7 years. I am 21 years old. I get a headache behind my right eye. It is Unilateral. The pain is for usually 15 to 45 minutes and no longer than that. It usually occurs when i am sleeping.The frequency is almost once in 2 days.The pain is so severe that i get up from my sleep and feel restless and start pulling my hair. One thing i will like to add doctor is that this pain is followed by stomach belching each and every time. My stomach also feels irritated along with it. Sometimes i go to the bathroom to relieve myself but even doing so doesn't lower the intensity of my pain. Doctors in my country tell me that their is no connection between stomach disorders and unilateral headaches, but i am still confused. So i would request you to give your opinion on the issue as my day to day life has become affected by this.

Thank You
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

It is difficult to classify your headache based on the symptoms you provide. There are several headaches (other than migraine) that are unilateral and involve the eye. One type is called a cluster headache, which is a sharp pain that occurs around and behind the eye often at night and is associated with tearing of the eye and/or running of the nose. Another type of headache is called a primary stabbing headache, which is a sharp or jabbing pain in the head that is either a single stab or a series of brief repeated volleys of pain. These typically occur in people with migraine. The pain itself generally lasts a fraction of a second but can last for up to one minute in some people. Another type of stabbing headache is called paroxysmal hemicrania. This is marked by episodes of stabbing or sharp pains that occur on one side of the head and may be associated with eye tearing or runny nose. Episodes may occur several times and last 30 seconds to a minute. Yet another type of stabbing headache is abbreviated SUNCT which typically has 100s of stabbing pains lasting seconds occur and are associated with red eye and tearing.

If one of these headaches seem to match your symptoms, you may wish to discuss with your physician trialing a drug called indomethacin.

It is important to accurately diagnose your headache. The treatment for each is different. You should continue working with your physician. You may need a referral to a headache specialist.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

Many thanks Sir and I have visited a neurologist well known and reputed and he has put me on new medication. As per him this is neighter a migraine nor cluster headache.
He has also advised nasal spray which should be administered when the pain comes and should relieve the same soon.
I am trying the new medication and if it helps shall advise .
The pain in the right eye did not appear for two days and have occurred again today. The neurologist I consulted mentions that the pain in the eye or forehead or brain is triggering the stomach to behave in the manner it is doing and this is all connected. I have used the nasal spray but same is not bringing any relief. I am quite tired now trying new medication and nothing seems a permanent cure.
I am sure that many persons all over the world would have or are being subjected to such symptoms and one would have been advised some permanent cure and diagnosis.
Let the forum kindly advise as I continue to suffer since last many years.
My husband has had the same thing for 15 years.  They first said it was sinus condition and one day he had one of the headaches right in front of his neuroligist doctor and they told him he had clusters headaches.  The pain behind his eye is called Horners eye symdrom. Some people get worse over the years some get better or stay the same.  My husbands  got worse.  They have tried alot of medication, nothing has helped except pain medications and a moist heated pad you put in the microwave. You can get the pad at a cvs store or medical supply store. There is a web site you might be interested in for more help and info.  It's called clusterheadaches. com  Hope you are one that gets better.  Good luck!
My husband suffered from headaches and had stomach problems. His dr. diagnosed him with heartburn. Once he got the heartburn under control his headaches went away. I would never have believed that heartburn can cause headaches but I saw the results. Maybe this will help :D
many thanks and have understood that there could be and there could not be medication which can cure such diseases which surface now and again.
Can you kindly explain in more details what is heartburn and how same was controlled.
Many thanks and regards