Neurology Expert Forum
Headache during sex

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Headache during sex

I'm not talking about "not tonight, I've got a headache" - I'm talking about going from painless to stabbing, incapacitating pain just when things begin to get interesting.
  It hurts so bad that continuing is not an option.  OTC medications have minimal effect in alleviating the pain, and I'm usually nauseous for the remainder of the day.
  I'm a 49 year old female with mild hypertension, controlled by accupril.
Dear SBR,
A coital  headache is one that occurs during sexual intercourse. Two types have been described, one in which headache of the tension type (a dull, bandlike ache) developed during sexual excitement and another in which a sever, throbbing, "explosive" headache occurred at the time of orgasm and persisted for several minutes or hours.  These types of headaches occur predominantly in males.  In cases of repeated headache, indomethacin is a drug that is effective.  This type of headache is fairly benign, in one study of 18 patients followed for a period of 2-7years , no other neurologic symptoms developed. Of course, a hypertensive hemorrhage or rupture of an aneursym or vascular malformation may occur during the exertion of sexual intercourse.  If you have not already, I would recommend that you get an evaluation by a neurologist.  If you are interested in getting an appointment at CCF call 1-800-CCF-CARE.  Ask for the neuology appointments secratary.

A related discussion, neurology was started.