Neurology Expert Forum
Headache for 2 years, now have clear evidence of unusual signs

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi doctor, I have this a chronic dull headache for the better part of 2 years now.  It has been debilitating to say the least, without even one minute goes by that I haven't had this headache.    So far, 3 neurologist and 2 ENT's have been stumped with my case, but I have never had any clear signs or explanations,  

until now...   I have noticed, that all this time I've had trouble breathing through my nose.  The turbinates in my nose are allways badly swolen.   However, when I do cardio vascular exercise (if I get my heart rate up above 150-160 for at least 5-10 minutes, the turbinates shrink away, I can breath through my nose again,  and most astonishing MY HEADACHE VASHINES!!!  

My headaches are related to whatever this is.  I am 100% sure.  What I am not sure of, is are my headaches being cause by the same underlying cause that is making my turbinates disfunction, or, are my headaches being caused as a RESULT of the turbinates pressing against the nasal wall?    

I spoke to a neurologist on the phone about this, and he is perplexed, said that it seems like the turbinates would actually swell during exercise, but thats just the opposite of whats happening...

Once again, to summarize, I get 100% relief from this most debilitating chronic headache during and just after exercise, while at the same time my turbinate disfunction disappears temporarily  (the problems slowly begin again starting about 10-15 minutes after exercise is over.

Doctor, what's the deal?  My symptoms are highly specific and localized, but no one has been able to offer me a clue ?
I'm not sure why your turbinates shrink with exercise, that remains a mystery

but enlarged turbinates and nasal septum abnormalities are associated with chronic headache, and in several series, surgical correction by an ENT surgeon has resulted in improvement of the headaches.

Migraine classically is worse with exercise

Good luck
Hi,Have you thought about seeing a doctor,who specializes in,just the ears,nose and throat.They are are called an ENT.That would be a good place to start.Espicially when you know the culprit.If it is your nose giving you all the problems,just think it was right under your nose the whole time.It's a joke.Sorry if I offended you in any way.I would make an appointment with an ENT as soon as possible.There is treatment for this I am sure,I just don't know what it will be.Take care of your self,and get better soon.Raven33