Neurology Community
Headache for over a week

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Headache for over a week

I have a history of migraines since having brain surgery for epilepsy over 10 years ago. For over a week now I have been fighting a headache. It's not as severe as a migraine, but it's bad enough where I'm alternating the use of Advil and Maxalt every 4-6 hours. It's mainly in the frontal lobe of my brain and the severity of the pain is in waves (lessens to tolerable and then peaks back to severe pain, lessens, peaks, lessens, etc). I'm at my wits end. I have had two people on my mother's side who had brain aneurisms and my paternal grandmother died from one, so now I'm getting rather concerned that maybe this is what's going on. Should I be? What is a plausible explanation? I go to my neurologist Tuesday (this is the first time I'm seeing this one because my regular doctor is lightening her load and I'm being passed onto this doctor). Since I don't know her, I'd like to know if there are things, like tests, that she should request and/or medications. Thanks!
Tell the neuro whats happening and i am sure they will order a ct scan and/or mri.. that will tell you whats going on... in the mean time, try not to worry ( i know its hard) but it can make it worse..
   Though, Clinical interrelationships between migraine and epilepsy exist ie, migraine may trigger epilepsy (some epileptologist call it migralepsy), or epilepsy may initiate a migraine attack either before , during , or after the fits
    But its crucial to mention what type of epilepsy you had , and what kind of surgery? any surgical complication?  to really accept the diagnosis of migraine.

Generally there are RED FLAGS in headache and one of them is a NEW TYPE of headache the rests are
1-a regular headache which changed its frequency, or severity ,
2-or if worsoned by bending forward, coughing, or straining,
3-or any headache gets worse on lying down
4-or a headache  waking you up from sleep or its worse upon waking up from
   sleep in the morning
if any of the above , I advise you to visit any ER next to you.

About the aneurysm you should be screened by an MRA.
Do you have any family history of these:
1-polycystic kidneys,
2-Marfan's syndrome,
3-or Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.

Hope this is helpful

Bob Hilton