Neurology Community
Headache in 11 year old boy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Headache in 11 year old boy

Hello, my 11 year old son has been suffering from headaches for about a year. They have been recently increasing in frequency. They are ALWAYS in the exact same place on his forehead - just above his right eyebrow towards his right temple. He has had no other symptoms. He had a CAT scan that was normal. We seem to think that his "headaches" are brought on by exhaustion, but no specific pattern has emerged. When he gets them, they can be  at all times of the day (morning, afternoon, after dinner). He recently went 2 months without a headache, but now we have started again. My docs cannot explain why his headaches are at a specific spot. He has had no specific trauma there. He does have allergies & gets colds. Could he have something wrong with a sinus cavity?? Is it unusual that a child can have pain in one spot?? I could put a permanent marker mark on his head & 100% of the time - that is where the pain is. Could it be a nerve problem?? The pain is never too severe & always responds to Motrin. Should he get a sinus cat scan?? Thanks
A CAT scan won't show very much. It is an obsolete form of diagnosis. Your son needs a dye contrast MRI. That being said there is hazard in such a procedure for an eleven year old. In view of the history, if he were my son, I would think about having such a scan done, The benefits outweigh the risks. I would not get another CAT scan. This equipment is obsolete and CAT scans are sold by medical facilities trying to amortize obsolete equipment. I think a good M.D. could perform an in-person diagnosis without a scan, though. The fact the pain  responds to motrin suggests the issue is swelling secondary to inflammation. What is causing the inflammation? That is the million dollar question. You have come up with a good suggestion to evaluate the sunus cavity. Infections there are often very resilient and difficult to eliminate. For starters, try flushing his sinus cavities a dozen times a day with ordinary saline. These are available in a pressurized container at drug stores, or you can make your own from a teaspoon of table salt in eight ounces of distilled warm water. He can flush himself. This procedure has no contradindications (except it's messy). It is a nerve problem, but the impingement appears to be due to swelling secondary to inflammation. Motrin is an excellent medication, but long term use can cause liver problems. I think your physician has not paid suffficient attention to your son's problems. Do not hesitate to change doctors. Get every copy of every medical record from his current doctor, including all lab and scan results.  Give him a vitamin D3 supplement, and see he gets plenty of sunlight while playing. This will help his immune system fight infection.  He needs an evaluation by an ENT specialist. And another look by a different doctor. Foctor's are very hesitant to "poach" patients. Based on the non-performance of your present physician, it's time for a clean sweep. On the positive side, if  this is an infection, it can be treated and the problem resolved.
I read the comment of this person re: 11 year old. I am having the same prooblems with my son. He will get a headache not matter what time of the day. His Dr. said it is from stress. But he will  get them if he is not doing anything at all. He does not like to take medicine because he said it does not make it go away. I just found out that he has been having headaches since he was about 4 years old he just never told me. His headaches are usually in the front of his head but bad enough that he cannot do anything but just lay there. My husband wanted me to take him and have a cat scan done. I have taken him to a health and wellness Dr. 2 times and still nothing so any suggestions? My sisters and mom get migraines but I do not, his mother. Please help
i have an headache..2 days from now and still it bothering my head. It hear at my left upper most of my head, i toke pain killer,such paracetamolm but still in cannot remove, is is not pulsing but somtimes maybe, it can't make me asleep, it wake up me up at night..please help mo diagnose my headache..tnk u..