Headache in a sine wave form
Hi, I am recently experiencing a headache on the right part of my head, just above the right ear.

The pain comes in a sine wave form, in which it comes for a second, then goes away for 5 seconds.  Comes back for a second, and goes away again.

I started experiencing this for about a week or so now, but they were not as frequent as they are today.

I'm going to a neurologist later today, but was just curious as to what you think the problem is.  Has any of you experienced this?  Should I be worried?

Thanks for all your help.
Hi.

Have you recently had an ear infection? Any ear pain? What about dizziness or vertigo? Is there any hearing loss or ringing in the ears?

The symptoms you are experiencing may be associated with an ear condition, which might account for the "sine wave" presentation of the pain. Although vestibular disorders are more commonly associated with vertigo, sometimes, pain can be present as well. A trip to an ENT doctor could rule out this condition.

There is also the possibility that the headache is an atypical presentation of a migraine, or some other neurological condition.

You should indeed go ahead with your consult with the neurologist. Do keep us posted.

Good luck.

Hey Doc,

I don't have any such pain/infections you mentioned.  No ear pain, no dizziness, no hearing loss.  I never had an ear infection either.

It's really weird, it's been since this morning that this "sine wave" is hitting me.  Now the pain just moved a little back to the back of the right ear.

But I'm sure it is an ear-related problem, as the pain is just at the base of the ear.  But again, I don't have any infections/hearing problems.

Hmmm...  I think it might just be a migraine.  A trip to the neurologist might not hurt.  I will definitely keep you posted on any development.

Thanks again,
-Waj