Neurology Expert Forum
Headache on right side of head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Headache on right side of head

for the past two weeks now every time i have sex i get extreme pain on the right side of my head. I have never had this before and now i am. It usually goes away a few hours afterwards but it it is starting to worry me. Unfortunately i have no health insurance and don't have a job so i can't just jump up and see a doctor. so i am trying to find answers as to why this is all of a sudden happening to me and what i can do to make it stop. Can somebody please help me?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There is a condition called orgasmic headache. It is described as a headache that worsens with posture such as sitting upright. It occurs “explosively” with orgasm. Another type of headache is a pre-orgasmic headache that is described as a dull ache in the head or neck and increases in intensity with sexual excitement. With these headaches it is important to realize that other causes need to be ruled out such as a subarachnoid bleed which are usually described as the “worst headache of my life”. This will need to be ruled out with CT scan and perhaps a spinal tap. Once other causes are ruled out, the treatment option includes indomethacin prior to sexual activity. Other treatment options, such as beta blockers, can be used if the headaches are recurring.

You should be evaluated by a physician to ensure that other causes of headaches are excluded. If you do develop any neurological deficits, you will need to call 911 ASAP.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.