Neurology Expert Forum
Headache with confusion, etc.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Headache with confusion, etc.

Starting at the beginning of the week (Monday), I had been feeling a bit out of character and easily confused. On Wednesday I started having spurts of where I would be really confused and had to sit at my desk at work and stare at a document before I was even able to process what I was looking at. When people would ask me a question I would try to answer, yet I would mess up what I was trying to say. I would then have to sit/stand there and process what i was going to say in my head before I proceeded to say it. Also, a slight headache had occured on that day as well.

Yesterday I had more of a headache, but the same amount of confusion as well as feeling disoriented and out of character. I went home last night right after work and went to bed. Slept for about 9hours straight after I took some advil migraine medicine.

This morning I woke up and felt pretty good, as I was finishing up getting ready for work I felt a deep pain in my head and I am now back to how I have been feeling (confusion, unable to focus, tired, hedache).

Does anyone know what could be wrong or as to what I should do?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the cause of your headaches and confusion are. However, I will try to provide you with some information about possibilities.

The most important thing to know is that if you have never had headaches before and you have recently started to develop them, you should see a doctor asap, to make sure the headache is not secondary to for example a bleed in the brain, a tumor, or an inflammatory process that occurs in adults older than 55 years of age called temporal arteritis. Symptoms include headache which is worst at the temple area and is worsened by chewing and other jaw movements. IN temporal arteritis, changes in vision can occur and signify a need for immediate medical attention.

If you have headaches for several years, and they are not changed in character, then a secondary cause to your headaches is unlikely, and you more likely have a primary headache disorder (headaches not occurring due to something else).

The possible causes of headache and confusion are multiple.

One possible cause is called confusional migraine, this is a rare type of migraine in which confusion accompanies a typical type of migraine headache.

Causes can include infection (either a systemic infection such as a viral illness), which lead to headache and fatigue but not really confusion. An infection of the brain (encephalitis) can also cause headaches and confusion. This is best diagnosed by a lumbar puncture, in which fluid is removed from around the spine and analyzed.

Seizures can also cause confusion but not frequently headache.

Difficulty initiating speech can be a stroke-like symptom.

As you can see from the list above, there are many potential causes of your symptoms. Some are worrisome while others are not. I suggest you see your general physician (your primary or family doctor), and after obtaining a full history and doing a complete physical examination, he/she will be able to determine whether or not you need further testing and whether you need referral to a neurologist. A lot of the conditions described above (such as tumor and bleeding in the brain, as well as stroke causes) can be determined with imaging, and MRI and MRA of the brain. Temporal arteritis can be suggested by results of a blood test.

Thank you for using the forum, I hope you find this information useful, good luck.