Neurology Expert Forum
Headaches, dizziness, shakes

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Headaches, dizziness, shakes

For the past couple of months I have been getting more and more headaches. They are sometimes a sharp pain that slowly eases and other times it is just this numbing pain that won't go away for a few hours even if I take something for it. I also have these dizzy or light-headed moments off and on throughout the day. Along with these I have had these random moments where my whole body just shakes for a few seconds and then everything is fine. I'm not cold or anything and I'm not usually doing anything before the shake happens. It happened alot about a month ago and then it didn't seem to happen as often. Now it has started happening more often and the shakes kind of take my breath away when they occur. The shakes themselves feel like a cross between a shiver and a muscle spasm.

Also I have these moments where part of my vision goes a littel crazy. It's like that sensation you get from looking at a light to long or having a camera flash in a dark room. You still kind of see the flash after it is gone only this happened to me without looking at a light or a camera flash. I had just moved some stuff into my apartment and the whole right side of my vision went what I call "the tinkerbell affect." My mom was standing to my right side and I could barely see her, a majority of her was covered by the sparkling thing that you get when the camera flashes. I don't really know how to explain it better.

I was just wanting to know if these mean anything or if I'm just going crazy and thinking too much into it. I mean is this fine or should I think about going to see a doctor?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There are several causes of headaches. Headaches can be divided into primary and secondary. Primary headache disorders are headaches without a direct cause. These are diagnosed after secondary causes have been excluded. Secondary headache disorders are due to an underlying problem, there are many many causes but some include medication side effects, systemic illness, nervous system infection, tumors, bleeds in the brain or clots in the veins of the brain, and others. Secondary headache disorders are excluded with testing including MRI of the brain, MRA, and sometimes additional testing such as lumbar puncture.

Primary headache disorders are much more common than secondary ones. There are several primary headache disorders, over 50 different types.  For example  migraines, which usually a pulsating throbbing one-sided pain with nausea and discomfort in bright lights that lasts several hours. Migraines can also lead to visual symptoms called aura. These include flashes of light, loss of vision in the peripheral field (as you describe above) and sometimes some dizziness if there is what is termed associated orthostatic intolerance. I am not sure what to make of the shakes you are describing above, they  may be unrelated to the migraine disorder if one is present.

Seeing a neurologist is recommended, to make sure there is not a secondary cause to the headache. Imaging of the brain and sometimes then neck may be indicated depending on your exact symptoms, your physical examination, and other factors. If migraine is confirmed, there are specific medications that can be taken to both treat the headache if it occurs as well as to prevent headaches from occuring if the headaches are too frequent.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.