Neurology Expert Forum
Headaches following recent fall (brain surgery 2009)

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I had an anaplastic ependymoma removed in 2009, followed by radiation and chemo, and have been doing pretty well.  4 days ago I was at a bbq, my friends were fooling around, and the stool I was sitting on got knocked backwards.  I hit my head on the grass.  I've been having headaches ever since, just above my eyebrows and in my temples.  Should I be concerned about damage in my tumor area?  Or would this normally happen when someone hits their head?  My doctors previously had said that I should not take advil or blood thinners to ensure that the internal wound doesn't bleed, so I am nervous about this.  Part of me wants to run and have another MRI (just had one last month - clear), but they're kind of expensive.  Any suggestions?
Karen
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There are several causes of headaches. Headaches can be divided into primary and secondary. Primary headache disorders are headaches without a direct cause (such as migraines). These are diagnosed after secondary causes have been excluded. Secondary headache disorders are due to an underlying problem, there are many many causes but some include tumor, bleeds, clots, trauma, etc.

It is important for you to understand that if you have not experienced headaches in the past and you are now having new head pains, seeing a neurologist is a good idea. Also, given your history, I would suggest that you consider being evaluated in an ED more urgently to ensure there is nothing more serious occurring (such as a bleed). This could be done with a physical examination and CT head.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.